Need help with an electrical puzzle

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
Aaron and I installed the instrument cluster into his Dart Sport today. After working out the kinks with some grounding problems, burned out bulbs, and blown fuses, we are still left with the following condition:

WITH KEY "OFF" AND HEADLIGHT SWITCH "IN":
Brake lights work when pedal depressed
Trunk light on with deck lid up
Light on when glove box door opened
Cigarette lighter element heats up
Dome light on BRIGHT when door opened
Dome light on DIM if headlight switch is turned
Courtesy/Map light only comes on ( VERY DIM) if dome light on with headlight switch, it won't come on simply using its own toggle switch

WITH KEY "OFF" AND HEADLIGHT SWITCH PULLED TO 1st POSITION:
All four side markers on
Front and rear parking/tail lights on
Ash tray light on
Heater - A/C control light on
Gear selection indicator light on
No instrument panel lights on
(Forgot to check license plate light or back-up lights)

WITH KEY "OFF" AND HEADLIGHT SWITCH PULLED TO 2nd POSITION:
No change in the above
Headlights on
Foot dimmer switch works properly with headlights

WITH KEY IN "ACC" OR "ON" POSITION:
Turn signals work properly
Emergency hazard lights work properly (need to check bulb next to switch)
All three wiper speeds work
All three fan speeds work
(Don't have the radio installed to check it)

Basically, everything seems to work OK except the map light and the instrument panel lights. I will say that the instrument panel acted weirdly earlier today. We had the panel only hooked up to the ammeter wires and the headlight switch, not the wiper switch. We were dealing with tail light grounding problems, etc. and noticed the turn signal arrows, high beam indicator light and all panel lights were on but VERRRRRY DIM. When I pressed the floor dimmer switch to change to high beam, the indicator light went out. When I switched to low beam, the indicator light came on. The "OIL" and "BRAKE" lights came on when the key was turned to "ACC" or "ON".

I might have fixed some of these problems by finding what I think might have been a ground wire disconnected, when we put the panel in correctly. Now, with the panel installed in its proper place and the wiper switch plugged in, none of the panel lights come on for any reason.

See if you can decipher this and come to any conclusion. Is it something as simple as a missing ground wire, or maybe the 5v instrument panel voltage limiter is kaput. I appreciate any input you may have.

Thanks much,
Jerry

Man, is my back aching. I've spent hours lying on my back in the floor of Aaron's car pondering this...trying that. Finally, everything electrical on the car works correctly, except the instrument panel lights. Well... actually, the map light is still acting goofy, but I'll figure it out eventually.

Would the voltage limiter on the instrument cluster cause the lights not to burn, or is everything pointing to a bad switch?

Jerry

i have had dimmer switches do crazy things, make sure the connection is clean and check it with a jumper wire ( bypassing the switch with the jumper wire ) at least it will eliminate the dimmer switch if nothing else.. good luck .. wiring sucks

I'm going to mention this only once, and then there shall be no more discussion on this subject. I told Aaron that I was going to place all the blame on him, to save face for myself, but I realized that would not be right. I shouldn't do that to my son.

As you know, I have been looking for a solution to an electrical "problem" for several days, since we installed the instrument cluster. I even bought a new headlight switch to see if it might help. I traced out wires, cleaned connections, checked fuses, and replaced bulbs until I was at my wit's end.

Last night, Aaron wanted to try the new switch and see if we could get the cluster lights working. To swing the cluster out to get to the headlight switch Aaron disconnected the wiper switch. As I pulled the panel forward to clear the steering column, he asked me, "Did you disconnect this?" I looked back there to see what he was pointing at, and you guessed it......
Do I need to say more? Should I fess up to my complete and total stupidity?

OK, but I only do this for the sake of those who follow after me with instrument panel "electrical problems". You young 'uns learn from my mistake and pass this knowledge on to your offspring:

YOU HAVE TO PLUG THE HARNESS CONNECTOR TO THE BACK OF THE PANEL FOR IT TO WORK.

Now, before you write me off as a world class retard, realize that we really did have some grounding problems and burned bulbs giving us fits, but we had the instrument cluster hanging off the left side of the steering column by its wires. Once we had all the bulbs replaced and connections made, we disconnected the panel to reposition it in its proper location to hook up and test the wiper motor and switch. At that moment is when I/we made our fatal mistake. We were trying so hard to carefully get the cluster tucked up behind the column without scratching our new paint job that the main connection to the circuit board was overlooked.

It was an honest mistake that any one of you could have made (and possibly have). So, in the spirit of poking fun at me, go ahead and take your best shot, I deserve this one. The good thing is, now we can finish installing the rest of the interior and get the car ready for the road.

Jerry

#-o Don't you just hate it when that happens?

Glad you got it figured out.

Jerry, dont feel so bad. It works now! Some of us (well me anyway) have very litle confidence in tackling wiring in the first place :salut:

Tim,
I've really never been afraid to tackle much of anything. When we started this project, my wife rarely came over to her dad's shop where my son and I were working on the car. She stopped by one day, right after we completely stripped the engine bay, so it could be sandblasted. When she saw a big pile of pieces, parts, and a spaghetti-like mass of wiring harnesses, the first thing she said was, "You'll never get that all back together." Last night, I proved her wrong. Talk about feeling relieved!!

Jerry

74 Sport..If you get stuck anymore give me a call..Ive helped a few members out in the past :book: ...and yes I can now bend backwards and touch the back of my head on the heels of my feet ...It's kinda my specialty now after doing a few now.
Here ta help if needed.

-
Back