Need help with couple of unidentified (to me) wires

-

pitbill

Reaction score
Sorry if this will be silly questions to you veteran A body guys,but this has been my first A body rebuild (1972 Dart Swinger) and replaced the engine wiring harness with a new one. Didn't take nearly as many pictures as I should have apparently to remember where everything goes. Some help with these would be great. I've tried the schematic charts, but I guess I may as well be looking at plans for the space shuttle as I am not very good at reading those. The car was a 318 with electronic ignition and air conditioning harnesses. It is now a 340 with no electronic ignition harness and has no air conditioning...if that info helps.

First pictures are of a round plug with a black wire on the drivers side splitting off form the harness under the washer bottle. Seems to have some connection to the small plug right beside of the harness plugs. Where does this round plug need to be plugged in to?

Last picture is of unidentified wire, it is the one that was cut off by the previous owner close to the harness plug. It is the one farthest row to the driver's side, second wire down. Brown (yellow stripe). What is this wire for?

Thanks, any help appreciated.

IMG_2254_zps2fcyrubr.jpg

IMG_2256_zps9uy93pyc.jpg

IMG_2259_zpsxb91kiuq.jpg

The first wire (black) goes to the brake proportioning valve for the warning switch. The brown/yellow tracer not sure.

EDIT LOL we posted near same time

I believe the first one is the brake warning switch wire.

One thing that might help "some" (even though it's wrong year) is to look over the 73 shop manual electrics, which changed dramatically. That manual was donated by the guys on here but you can download it free from MyMopar

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Brown yellow I managed to lose track might be the washer wire?

Is it possible this harness is out of a 73 or that you have a very late 72? In the 73 books that wire came off the start circuit on the starter relay and went to the seat belt relay inside the interior

Thanks, found the terminal for the brake wire!

As for the brown wire....I suppose anything is possible as far as where the harness came from and what year. Most old cars have mysterious origins with some of their parts, that's for sure. I do have a brown with yellow wire coming from the switch on the transmission to the starter relay but it is unbroken; however it is the exact same color as the one that is cut.

Oh, and my washer wire is a solid brown wire with no yellow.

-
Back