Need help with Doug's headers install '65 Barracuda !

-

one mile

Reaction score
Have my daughters V8 '65 BARRACUDA up on jack stands with transmission out and decided to install Doug's headers and need some input as to "What to watch out for" to help me before I get too deep in the wrong direction. Just a good overview would be great from someone who has been down this dark road ! LOL ! I have a good general idea but I know the details will kill you ! Car is auto, power steering with 340 torsion bars (Blue paint) . Any constructive input is welcome ! Thanks ! Tim

Did you make positively sure that the Dougs headers will indeed even work with power steering!! There's tight, then there's power steering in an early A body tight!!!

I have them on my 65 Dart Wagon with a 340 in it, they do fit with the power steering but the coupler may rub if your engine mounts are worn and the engine sits down to far they are real tight and it's hard to get them all lined up I did the drivers side first and took the torsion bar out just to get more room and I raised the engine up to get as much room as possible on that side got the header on the engine and left it lose so I could get the two bolt flanges lined up once they were tight I put the engine back down on it's mount and tightened the header up. On the passenger side I removed the 90 degree adapter and the torsion bar that made it much easier and then I could put the adapter back on at the best angle for oil filter removal. I don't remember if I had to raise the engine on the passenger side or not it's been awhile. Good Luck just go for it. From what I remember it's a six beer job and about 5-8 cuss words worth. Bob

From what I remember it's a six beer job and about 5-8 cuss words worth. Bob

WOW, I think you're being pretty conservative with the beer and cuss words both.
It took me 2/12packs, 38 cuss words and a day and a half.:D
And that was BEFORE having to ding the headers for clearances here and there.

I have them on my 65 Dart Wagon with a 340 in it, they do fit with the power steering but the coupler may rub if your engine mounts are worn and the engine sits down to far they are real tight and it's hard to get them all lined up I did the drivers side first and took the torsion bar out just to get more room and I raised the engine up to get as much room as possible on that side got the header on the engine and left it lose so I could get the two bolt flanges lined up once they were tight I put the engine back down on it's mount and tightened the header up. On the passenger side I removed the 90 degree adapter and the torsion bar that made it much easier and then I could put the adapter back on at the best angle for oil filter removal. I don't remember if I had to raise the engine on the passenger side or not it's been awhile. Good Luck just go for it. From what I remember it's a six beer job and about 5-8 cuss words worth. Bob
Yep , they are suppose to fit ! I will pull the bars tonight and the oil filter adapter also as suggested. Thanks for the input ! Anybody else got suggestions ?

I may have been short on the beer and cuss but I found out the more beer I drink the more I cuss so now I finish what I needed to do drink the beer and then that Fin sucked I'll never Fin do this BS and so on but next week I'm back at it anyway

I may have been short on the beer and cuss but I found out the more beer I drink the more I cuss so now I finish what I needed to do drink the beer and then that Fin sucked I'll never Fin do this BS and so on but next week I'm back at it anyway
Does anybody have pictures of their Doug's installed on their early A ? That would help me A LOT ! LOL ! Thanks, Tim

Here are some pictures of my 65 with Dougs headers on it you can see how tight it is. These were the only game in time when I started this project. Right now the steering and torsion bars are out because at some point I need to pull the engine so I can paint under the hood.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

DANG ! Sweet car ! THANK YOU ! this forum is great or getting information and help from people who understand ! how about one or two pics of your car ? the underside looks great the rest of it has to be good ! Thanks again hemi446

It's work in progress go to members restoration wagon 2 door conversion and you will see just how far I have to go

DANG ! Sweet car ! THANK YOU ! this forum is great or getting information and help from people who understand ! how about one or two pics of your car ? the underside looks great the rest of it has to be good ! Thanks again hemi446
Dartwizer that was the icing on the cake ! VERY good article. Thanks ! Tim

I remember doing backflips just to get the oil filter out from my supercomps. Some guy recommended run a shorty filter out the block, ditch the 90 adapter.

-
Back