need help with engine swap

-
Reaction score
hey evey one . i have a 1965 barracuda and im lookin to install a 99 5.2 engine in it . and im not to sure wat i will need to do so i no the mounts are different and im not to sure on wat tranny i can us and if i will be able to reuse the stock fuel injection system ? so if any one can help me out i would
appreciate it thanks.

hey evey one . i have a 1965 barracuda and im lookin to install a 99 5.2 engine in it . and im not to sure wat i will need to do so i no the mounts are different and im not to sure on wat tranny i can us and if i will be able to reuse the stock fuel injection system ? so if any one can help me out i would
appreciate it thanks.

{Lets see if I can translate, to make it easier for us old farts.} ;)

Hey Every one.
I have a 1965 Barracuda and I'm looking to install a 1999 5.2 engine in it.

I am not too sure What I will need to do, to make it work.

I know the engine mounts are different, and,
I am not sure What tranny I can use.

Will I be able to reuse the 1999 stock Fuel Injection system?

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. :)
Thanks, 1965purplecuda

What engine do you have now?

You can certainly keep the fuel injection from the 99. It will be neither cheap nor easy. Make sure you have EVERYTHING from the donor vehicle; computer, wiring harness, etc...

I think the 5.2 has the same engine mounts as 273 so mounts should be OK.
If you are using an automatic trans you need a bushing in the crank pilot hole to fit smaller hub of your converter. 273 exhaust maniflods will bolt up. You need a center sump oil pan and pick up if the 5.2 has a truck rear sump pan.
I'm also planning a Magnum swap and and plan to change the front of the engine to LA cam cover, water pump and pullies; switch distrubiter to LA electronic, buy an after market intake for a carburator. If you plan to switch to the 90* oil filter housing be careful - the 5.2 is machined differently at the oil filter. 5.2 cam nose is different & has no fuel pump excentric so I'm still working on fuel pump problem. I've thought about drilling & taping heads to take LA type manifolds but unsure if the magnum head has enough metal to hold the threads.
I'm sure I missed something.

I cant remember for sure, I think you will have to use the MAG Flexplate and t converter if you are using the org trans for you car. You will have to drill a space for the crank sensor if you are using Fuel inj. Some cranks are balanced and some plates are balanced. Make sure that you are using a matched pair. Mopar Performance makes an intake for Mag engines that uses a carb. Since one is a dry intake and the other is a wet intake, you might have some additional work to do. If you can get your doner veh trans, you might be better off using it. Keep in mind, that this engine and trans in its stock configuration is computer controlled. This will be a large job even for a pro. Can you handle this? There is a book, How to Rebuild Small Block Mopars. I forget its author, but it should be on Amazon. This book should be read and studied cover to cover by anyone thinking about this type of swap. Dollar for dollar, you might be better off with a LA engine. I hope this helps.
Brian

i am from philadelphia. and thanks for the fixing of my post . right now the car has a 1972 360 engine and a 904 tranny . but thanks to evey one for the help. im goin to look a lil more in to the swap be for i move on . thanks agon

Why don't you just rebuild the motor and trans you have? It will be much less work and 42 extra cubes to boot.

i was thinkin about doin that . im just not a big fan of the 360 . being thats its balance by the convter

You can internally balance a 360 when you rebuild it. But Then you have to change the torque converter and Harmonic Balancer.

I'm pretty certain you can get a B&M flexplate that takes care of the balance issue on the torque converter, basically it takes the weights off the converter and incorporates them into the flex plate. Food for thought.

i have a 340 block but it needs work and i dont have the money right now for that . would i us one of them liquid filled Harmonic Balancer to?

With a 360 you need a counterwieghted damper and flexplate. No amount of fluid filling will make up for the weight. Yes, a 360 can be balanced internally, but this will require adding heavy metal or lightweight forged pistons (extra $$$). But why? You were planning on adding an SFI approved flexplate while you had it apart right? 360 weighted flexplates are pretty easy to come by, and then you can run any converter. Same with SFI approved 360 crank dampers. The engine doesn't care where the counterweight is, so long as it's there.

If it were me, I would probably use the 360 you have now. OR, if I was going to swap in a later Magnum engine, I'd go looking for a 5.9. In either case the stock exhaust manifolds on an early-A only support about 250 HP, so I'd save up for decent headers ($$$).

there was a purple 65 barracuda for sale at a used car lot at frankford and girard a bunch of years ago mid 90's

chewy said:
You can internally balance a 360 when you rebuild it. But Then you have to change the torque converter and Harmonic Balancer.
how is that done? cuz that sounds like a plane to me
I'm sure you've figured this out by now... if rebalancing a 360 sounds like a pain, then reconfiguring the car to accept a fuel injected Magnum could be the worst nightmare you've ever had. ;) Such a swap might yield a really great result for a lot of reasons, but it's not trivial.

When installing an engine that totally changes the car, getting it to run under its own power is just the starting point (though unfortunately that's where a lot of people stop.) Only having a certain (twisted?) mentality will convince you to continue, as you gain a full understanding of all the systems involved and apply sufficient finesse to get them all working together as a fine, trouble-free installation... it's quite a different ballgame. And it can take months or even years of learning, fine-tuning and tweaking. But when ya finally get a car running like you want it, the results are fabulously satisfying.

- Erik

64 Valiant, 170 3-spd. Mostly original.
82 Volvo wagon, 5.0 5-spd. Smooth, reliable, emissions legal.

im ready to give it a shot now that u put it like that. i have my own place and tools and its not like i dont have the time that is need it . i just was not sure is it would be worth it all .

I have a donor vehicle with good 1996 5.2 motor and auto trans, bought it as a wreck from insurance company and wondering if anyone has info on engine wiring and computer hookup. metal fabrication is the easy part for me, just need help on fuel injection and wiring. I like the idea of overdrive. i want to use fuel injection so maybe procharger or turbo in future.

Please reference any tech articles you can.

-
Back