Need Help With Flywheel Thread

-
Most recent was a 56 chevy with a stock cast iron wheel, at irwindale, about a year ago. No scattershield, i guess teck didnt think it was fast enough to need one, and he was on street tires.
Slipping the clutch to get it off the line, after several passes it came apart on the third gear shift. It took out the stock steel tunnel, went thru the dash and destroyed it, busted the windshield, and pieces went thru the roof, and the passenger door.... and the drivers foot.
He was lucky to have an ankle that wasnt busted, or a foot gone.

Most recent was a 56 chevy with a stock cast iron wheel, at irwindale, about a year ago. No scattershield, i guess teck didnt think it was fast enough to need one, and he was on street tires.
Slipping the clutch to get it off the line, after several passes it came apart on the third gear shift. It took out the stock steel tunnel, went thru the dash and destroyed it, busted the windshield, and pieces went thru the roof, and the passenger door.... and the drivers foot.
Yea when they come apart, it gets scary in a hurry. The worst one I saw was posted here somewhere. I’ll see if I can find it.
Edited to add photos.
24AFC5AD-31C9-40D0-84C6-EE9ECB9E03FA.png
5069E6E5-DDB6-4220-8A55-65DB3C4AD6F4.png
B2DF9380-A197-4E84-AD8A-CF21DE27FE09.png
3EE9444B-9286-4A1D-AE12-0C575AE35582.png

Wow!

And people still want to use 50 year old part like flywheels that spin up past 6k with a stock bell housing. I remember seeing some dumb **** like this at Sonoma on Wednesday for the local drags...

Not a dumbshit, I do at least have a Lakewood, not that I want to use it. May be time for that upgrade at 67 years old.

Not a dumbshit, I do at least have a Lakewood, not that I want to use it. May be time for that upgrade at 67 years old.

No disrespect towards you. Was talking these guys racing some hoopite at Sonoma 10+ years ago.

It’s good your asking the questions. I’m running a Lakewood behind my 340 with no fitment issues as I’ve seen the carnage in person and is ugly...

No disrespect towards you. Was talking these guys racing some hoopite at Sonoma 10+ years ago.

It’s good your asking the questions. I’m running a Lakewood behind my 340 with no fitment issues as I’ve seen the carnage in person and is ugly...
Thank you, I ordered a RAM flywheel. I want to stay away from carnage. I don't need anymore ugliness.

Believe it or not a cast flywheel will go right through a blow shield, but a forged flywheel the blow shield will usually stop. Cast will fragment in sharp pieces.

-
Back