Need help with gauges PLEASE!!!!

-

67ozziecuda

Reaction score
Guys,
I put all my dash back together and installed in the car (67 barracuda). Every thing works eg indicators, lights, etc except I'm having problems with the fuel gauge and temp gauge. When you turn the ign on the fuel gauge was going right up near full with no fuel in the tank. I went to try the temp gauge to see if it was working (no motor in car yet) and put the sender unit wire on the old sender unit, earthed it to body, turned the ign on and the gauge goes all the way to hot?

This is where the **** happened...while playing around with the ign on, the temp sender wire must have earthed out (didn't see it) and smoke started coming out of the gauge cluster behind the plastic bezel, not sure which one, could be fuel gauge? Since this happened the fuel gauge won't go above 1/4. I pulled the wire off quick, don't know if I saved it or not?

Questions? Have I smoked the fuel gauge/temp gauge?. Is there are voltage reg that may have burned out? any ideas what the problems could be with both gauges. Need to get the car done ASAP for summer down under. If I have stuffed the gauges can anyone help out with a couple of good secondhand ones?

Help much appreciated

Regards
Dave

There is a voltage limiter located inside the fuel gauge. It sounds like you toasted something with an accidental ground somewhere. If the fuel sender or temperature senders ground for any length of time you risk cooking something.

Thanks guys,
I'm not sure what the correct type/name of the gauge cluster is but it's a V8 67 barracuda formula S, it has the speedo, vacuum/performance gauge in the centre and then the volt/temp/fuel/oil gauge.

How do I know 100% that the fuel gauge is cooked?. I clipped a wire on the back of the gauge last night (sender pin) (still in the car) and briefly touched it to earth. The gauge went all the way to full, but went up pretty fast?. Is there any test I can do in the car to check if it's OK or not. Shall I take the sender unit out of the tank and move it manually to check the gauge?. I wonder if the voltage regulator has fried and this is why the gauge moves up so quick when I tested it? I figured if it's burned out why does it still move?.

Any ideas???

The bi-metal strip inside the gauge starts life straight at room temperature. Heat causes it to bow which moves the needle. Too much heat destroys its temper.Pic upload failed
Send them to me and I'll fix them.

-
Back