Need help with Hellcat E body swap

-

1mean340

Reaction score
Hey guys, first let me just say that I am in the early stages of researching gen 3 swaps, but I am trying to dive in fast. Only reaching out and asking questions that have probably been asked before because I am at a point now where I need to figure out a budget for this build to determine whether or not it could happen. If it's going to be way more than I guessed, I'll probably end up putting the money into finishing my other project car instead.

The car is a 70 challenger, currently has a procharged/e85/FITECH injected 340.

I am looking to install a crate hellcat motor with a TH400 trans. I have found some good info on 5.7/6.1 swaps, but I wasn't sure if all of that carries over to the hellcat. I am looking to do a very basic swap (don't want AC, don't want power steering, don't want cruise control, preferably go with a full manual valve body on trans). I can weld/fabricate and don't mind notching the K member (factory K member car). Here's the list I came up with and some notes on what I assume may need to be done. Please feel free to critique, add to, take away or help guide me in any way. Also feel free to say "that ain't going to happen on that budget" so I can get this out of my head before I waste too much time on it...

Hellcat crate engine- $14k from modern muscle

MOPAR stand alone harness- $1765 from modern muscle

Milodin 31030 Oil Pan seems to be the only pain I can find that is listed for the hellcat. Not sure how it would fit on an E body, stock steering/suspension $330
+pickup/gaskets- $100 give or take

Accessories: I found a complete kit with alternator, pulleys and power steering pump for $575. I don't need the P/S pump, but i'll assume this price until I could find a delete pulley for cheaper.

FUEL- car is already setup with a 1200+hp capable EFI/Forced Induction fuel system (magna fuel 750 pump, 10AN feed, Aeromotive 13101 FPR. I figure just misc fittings to adapt it to the cat's fuel rails- $200

Radiator- car has a cheap eBay 26" 3 core aluminum now with dual Proform electric fans (also have two 2000CFM a piece derale fans I can use). Not sure about how the rad hose outlets on the hellcat would mate up with this. I'd like to try to make it work, but say a radiator was in my future. $800?

TH400- one built for 1000hp, $1500
Converter- $750
Here's where things get tricky. I know the right way is to use a chrysler pattern bell housing, but I have seen many guys use adapter kits. If an adapter kit would work, I found one from PATC that includes flex plate, billet spacer, the adapter plate itself and hardware for $690
I have a hurst Th400 reverse manual pistol grip shifter that would look great in the car that I would try to use.

Headers- I take it the factory exhaust manifolds wouldn't work? Worst case, TTI sells 6.2 swap headers for around $750 coated.

Driveshaft- $500

Tuning- I assume the standalone would work fine...but I'm not sure how/if the standalone ECM could be set up to ignore the trans so I can use the th400 with a manual valve body.

Anything else I am missing? Rear is a built up 8 3/4 with 3.91's and a 1350 yoke which of course will have to go at some point, but it'll get the car moving for now.

Total cost at that point I figure is about $22k, and I was hoping it would be more around $20k if I didn't need a radiator and I could use exhaust manifolds instead. With what I hope I could sell my forged W2 340/procharger/trans/converter/FITECH for, this puts me RIGHT up to my budget, but I can do it, providing I am not way off or missing something major or not realizing something would not work here without way more trouble than I think

I thought Gas Monkey did the swap or was that a scat pack? Not sure but that may give you some answers.

-
Back