Need help with old Chevy versus Mopar debate

-
I didn't read all this thread, but there are actual FACTS that you can use. Chrysler published these FACT, and AFAIK they still do.

To answer the question truthfully, you must go to the second biggest moronic association in motorsports. NHRA.

NHRA has been using the "factoring" system for decades and in doing so, has manipulated certain engine and chassis packages to render them virtually non competitive.
Since this has been published, I will let the interwebs gurus go find it and post them in this thread.

CLEARLY, NHRA used this system to protect various GM packages and make them competitive when they should not have been. While the hemi has been screwed beyond comprehension, not only by NHRA but by asscar as well so have many of the 340 packages have been factored to keep GM in the front.

It is historical FACT. All you have to do is stop arguing with a moron who would argue with a stop sign, and look up Stock Eliminator factoring in Chrysler manuals. It's there, in black and white.

^
Wouldn't these engines need some type of car around them?
Nah! why do you think Ravell and other toy model companies make model engines? That's all you need.

Also, wouldn't a fair comparison be a B body with a 318 vs the impala with the 327?

Last edited:
The 327 was available in a WIDE array of combinations in comparison to the 340, so it would depend on WHICH 327 you were talking about and WHICH car it was in.

A 365/327 or 375/327 in a Corvette would probably eat a 340 for lunch.

So true so true. Because both Wally Parks AND Bill France had hard ons for Chevy. Without their keniving ways, Chevy would not have been the "FARCE" to be reckoned with.

I didn't read all this thread, but there are actual FACTS that you can use. Chrysler published these FACT, and AFAIK they still do.

To answer the question truthfully, you must go to the second biggest moronic association in motorsports. NHRA.

NHRA has been using the "factoring" system for decades and in doing so, has manipulated certain engine and chassis packages to render them virtually non competitive.
Since this has been published, I will let the interwebs gurus go find it and post them in this thread.

CLEARLY, NHRA used this system to protect various GM packages and make them competitive when they should not have been. While the hemi has been screwed beyond comprehension, not only by NHRA but by asscar as well so have many of the 340 packages have been factored to keep GM in the front.

It is historical FACT. All you have to do is stop arguing with a moron who would argue with a stop sign, and look up Stock Eliminator factoring in Chrysler manuals. It's there, in black and white.

327 Chevies came anywhere from 210 HP to 375 HP, so it's hard to make such a blanket statement. Just depends on which one you pick. Best I can remember, the Dart and Duster 340's could pretty well handle up to the 327/300 HP versions. If you ran into the 365/375 versions, (which I saw very few of) not so much.

1969 reddart, that really was a big help. I copied all the charts and will send them to my Mopar younger brother to do battle with the Chevy kid. I don't have anything against Chivvies but he believes its a waste of time to build/restore/modify anything other than a Chivvy

1969 reddart, that really was a big help. I copied all the charts and will send them to my Mopar younger brother to do battle with the Chevy kid. I don't have anything against Chivvies but he believes its a waste of time to build/restore/modify anything other than a Chivvy

He must be a closet Mopar guy, LOL.

I look every Chevy or Ford guy in the face and say that any engine you choose against what ever engine I select to combat it with you'll just quip about a mod or upgrade to trump it, what item style or creation we have that is ahead of out time (Is bullshit) and/or cry about how I have 10 extra cubes over your engine and/or you'll ***** about my valve angle vein better so it doesn't make a difference to me what you think or proof you produce because in the end, you just go up the scale in power and then displacement until we get to to the top fuel guys and then, just then at that very point, you'll realize that alll engine blocks dispite the part number on the side is really just a modified engine block to satisfy you crybabies that you don't have an engine like we do to compete so the powers that be said;

"OK, Make'em a Chrysler HEMI with a Ford and a Chevy part numberon it so they stop crying! JEEZZZZ, My ears are BLEEDING from all that freakin CRYING!"

Every engine has a pro and con. Ours would be cry baby bitches with crappy engines.

Of all the breif internet searching I did, I see a bunch of 1/4 mile times for those FI 375hp vettes being low 14s in a 3100 pound car. I also noticed the claim about 350 ft lbs of torque. I imagine a 275hp 71 duster 340 would have no problem running with one, even with "100" less claimed HP

Brand loyalty. I grew up as a Chevy guy, next older brother, Ford, oldest brother, mopar. We all had some pretty cool cars that we wish we still had. Now I have a mopar 72 dart swinger getting a 340 ready to drop in it. No matter which brand, any desirable model is expensive.

Take one of each brand, similar displacement, bore and stroke, same weight, same gearing, you have the same car.

I think them brothers need to get to building a couple of cars so they can both start lying about what's under the hood.

-
Back