need help wont shift into third

-
to reply to you. I know how to do engines, thats easy. I know the math to do it and have done it a few times over. transmissions? thats something way different and I dont understand it or know anyone who does.

I just did my first one. I got about $500.00 in it with all the good parts, not including the Valve body. There are several guys on here that do their own.
Seriously they are that easy. In front of my 904 I have a 500+ HP Stroker and I am hitting it with 150 Shot of NOS. It takes it easily and does not miss a beat.

I too was intimidated like you. The trans is WAY easier than an engine.

I have pictures in my 73 Scamp thread in my signature. I forgot what page it starts on.

.............John will make it right, no worries there......He is 1 of the best there is.....atleast send him an email................kim..........

I think John will do his best to make it right. I know your busy but ya gotta let him know. John is also a member here on the board so you could even PM him.

You paid 1 K for a $80.00 rebuild. How do you feel about that now? Yes you got ripped off bad. Throw in 2 Hours labor max and you got a $300.00 Trans with labor.

You have every reason to be pissed off.

Build it yourself next time they are easy to do. If you can build Lego's you can do this trans.

Louis, I could be wrong but I believe John Cope also provided the transmission and shipped it over 1000 miles so it wasn't just a $80 rebuild. A few yrs. back I nearly moved to take a job with John due to his knowledge and work ethic but then I screwed up my back and couldn't.

Since the OP took out a trashed trans I wonder if he properly flushed the cooler and lines? Maybe he didn't even know it needed to be done? As you know if their full of crap from the last trans it goes right into the new trans. Same for the converter. Did the old converter get reused without having it taken apart and cleaned? There are several possibilities.

I emailed him. to be honest I feel super bummed :(

I can understand that. I'm sorry to hear you had trouble with it especially since I recommended him. John's a good guy and I believe he'll do what he can to make it right.

BTW: after you took out your old trans did you properly flush out the cooler and lines? What about the converter, did you either replace it with a rebuilt one or have it properly cleaned? If you didn't, crap from the old burned up trans would have been pumped into the new one

Louis, I could be wrong but I believe John Cope also provided the transmission and shipped it over 1000 miles so it wasn't just a $80 rebuild. A few yrs. back I nearly moved to take a job with John due to his knowledge and work ethic but then I screwed up my back and couldn't.

Since the OP took out a trashed trans I wonder if he properly flushed the cooler and lines? Maybe he didn't even know it needed to be done? As you know if their full of crap from the last trans it goes right into the new trans. Same for the converter. Did the old converter get reused without having it taken apart and cleaned? There are several possibilities.

Yes I know and I hear you. Pro Trans is prob 100 miles from the OP. It's easier to deal with people within driving distance. Long distance relationships usually don't end well, especially in this situation because of shipping costs. Shipping is approx 200$ each way. In this hobbie unfortunately it costs $$ to learn. I've spent my share that has ended up in the scrap pile for sure.

I just hope it gets fixed one way or the other. The op was talking about junking the whole project over it? unless I read that in another thread?

I can understand that. I'm sorry to hear you had trouble with it especially since I recommended him. John's a good guy and I believe he'll do what he can to make it right.

BTW: after you took out your old trans did you properly flush out the cooler and lines? What about the converter, did you either replace it with a rebuilt one or have it properly cleaned? If you didn't, crap from the old burned up trans would have been pumped into the new one

where i had it installed im not sure if they did. as for the old trans. the only real issue I had with it is it slipped into first really bad, pump wasnt working all the way I think, and the front seal was bad. another issue I forgot to put up about the rebuilt trans was when it gets to running temp, even though its NOT over filled fluid slowly comes out the vent hole

Yes I know and I hear you. ProTrans is prob 100 miles from the OP. It's easier to deal with people within driving distance. Long distance relationships usually don't end well, especially in this situation because of shipping costs. Shipping is approx 200$ each way. In this hobbie unfortunately it costs $$ to learn. I've spent my share that has ended up in the scrap pile for sure.

I just hope it gets fixed one way or the other. The op was talking about junking the whole project over it? unless I read that in another thread?

no Im not gonna junk anything. just frustrated :( 200? no shipping was 370.

Yes I know and I hear you. Pro Trans is prob 100 miles from the OP. It's easier to deal with people within driving distance. Long distance relationships usually don't end well, especially in this situation because of shipping costs. Shipping is approx 200$ each way. In this hobbie unfortunately it costs $$ to learn. I've spent my share that has ended up in the scrap pile for sure.

Your right, doing business locally has great advantages. Unfortunately I didn't know of Pro trans to recommend it to him.

where i had it installed im not sure if they did. as for the old trans. the only real issue I had with it is it slipped into first really bad, pump wasnt working all the way I think, and the front seal was bad. another issue I forgot to put up was when it gets to running temp, even though its NOT over filled fluid slowly comes out the vent hole

That makes it tough. Spitting fluid out of the vent hole is indicative of a plugged up trans. cooler so I bet the installer didn't flush it. Do you know if they even put in a new converter or just used the old one?

Slipping going into gear most likely indicates it was burned up. The rear clutch pack discs are a common failure part and when they go they put all kinds of tiny fragments into the cooler and lines, that's why they have to be flushed good. Those fragments also stick inside the converter and when you put in new fluid it loosens them up and they also go right into the new trans.

My guess would be the filter is plugged up not allowing enough fluid flow to keep the system charged by the time it's hitting high gear, but that's just a internet guess. It's possible it can be flushed good and that'll take care of the problem.

That makes it tough. Spitting fluid out of the vent hole is indicative of a plugged up trans. cooler so I bet the installer didn't flush it. Do you know if they even put in a new converter or just used the old one?

Slipping going into gear most likely indicates it was burned up. The rear clutch pack discs are a common failure part and when they go they put all kinds of tiny fragments into the cooler and lines, that's why they have to be flushed good. Those fragments also stick inside the converter and when you put in new fluid it loosens them up and they also go right into the new trans.

My guess would be the filter is plugged up not allowing enough fluid flow to keep the system charged by the time it's hitting high gear, but that's just a internet guess. It's possible it can be flushed good and that'll take care of the problem.

its the same stock converter, well tomorrow its going to the shop hoppfully its nothing bad.

its the same stock converter, well tomorrow its going to the shop hoppfully its nothing bad.

You might want to ask them if they had the converter and cooler and lines flushed out. If they didn't it's their fault it's screwed up, IMO... Unfortunately for you, if that's what happened, John may not warranty it because that's something any shop should know absolutely needs done.

You might want to ask them if they had the converter and cooler and lines flushed out. If they didn't it's their fault it's screwed up, IMO... Unfortunately for you, if that's what happened, John may not warranty it because that's something any shop should know absolutely needs done.

they called me back and said that its the converter. they flushed everything the first time and did it again and said inside is still very very clean. they said that there might be a grove worn into the old converter that was missed before and that if I were to replace it and it would solve my problem. does that sound about right to everyone here? they test drove it around and said that it would go all through the gears but its losing fluid from the converter. so if thats true anyone here have a 904 converter? or know where I can get one for okay price

okay so what Ive read online, hughes is a good company and to stay away from tci, b&m, and boss hog.

Yes a broken converter can plug the valve body up with debris.

So Cope did the trans, and you supplied the converter then?

I don't see a trans place of any kind putting in a converter with a groove in it.

the shop said that there could be a crack of some sort in the converter that wasnt seen. they open up the valve body and it was clean. filter clean, just all around everything is clean. so bad converter. I went to a local shop and got a hughes 2500 stall converter for 294 being that the shop said replace the converter it will solve ur problem. as for the gears, they said as it leaks out the converter u lose pressure from loss of fluid so it wont shift all that great, makes sense.

the shop said that there could be a crack of some sort in the converter that wasnt seen. they open up the valve body and it was clean. filter clean, just all around everything is clean. so bad converter. I went to a local shop and got a hughes 2500 stall converter for 294 being that the shop said replace the converter it will solve ur problem. as for the gears, they said as it leaks out the converter u lose pressure from loss of fluid so it wont shift all that great, makes sense.

It could be a crack, or it could be crap in the seal lip, or it could be that the spring fell out of the back of the seal.
In ANY of those scenarios I don't accept that this is why it doesn't like shifting into third. (Especially if it was being driven for testing the shifts)

A leak capable of loosing enough fluid to not shift would empty that trans fast.
Of course I could be wrong.

I hate to be a downer, but it should have a new bushing and seal put in the pump it when the new converter goes in.
If the converter snout is cracked then it probably wasn't running straight in the bushing.

It could be a crack, or it could be crap in the seal lip, or it could be that the spring fell out of the back of the seal.
In ANY of those scenarios I don't accept that this is why it doesn't like shifting into third. (Especially if it was being driven for testing the shifts)

A leak capable of loosing enough fluid to not shift would empty that trans fast.
Of course I could be wrong.

I hate to be a downer, but it should have a new bushing and seal put in the pump it when the new converter goes in.
If the converter snout is cracked then it probably wasn't running straight in the bushing.

Totally agree. I've seen converters with cracks that leaked but never enough to cause it to lose enough pressure for the trans to not shift right. I'd surely think that if it leaked bad enough to lose enough pressure to make it not shift right it'd spew all the ATF out in a big hurry.

Without seeing things in person it's a tough guess but what their saying just doesn't seem to add up to me.

I used a 2500 stall Hughes converter in a buddies 440 powered Challenger. Worked real good but the stall was a little tighter than they advertised. If your engine is stock it should pep it up some but I doubt it'll stall 2500. Even if it only stalls 2000-2100 that's a few hundred more than a stock converter. I think you'll like it.

X3, I don't believe it's the converter. I'm sure they did something to the VB when the VB was removed, especially if they say it will now shift into all gears on the test drive. It is probably leaking out the vent and they are passing it off telling you that the converter is cracked.

idk it was leaking out alot of fluid. I did some photo search's online and something popped into my head that gave me an idea of what might be happening to the converter. every photo of converters I look at are the same but yet on the converter I have it has a spot on there on the bolt side a hole drilled with a square bolt plugging it but every photo I find doesnt. so im thinking the guy who I first bought my stuff from did that to it to drain it. so Im thinking fersure it the converter.

-
Back