need help wont shift into third

-

chris_stevenson

Reaction score
Im having some trouble with a new rebuild that I just bought. its a 904 trans and its new. i dont know if I did something wrong. it shifts fine from 1 to 2. for some reason from 2-3 it wont. has the right amont of fluid. it there somethign inside that could be sticking? not allowing it to shift?

I have a newly rebuilt 904 trans and I'm having an issue with it sadly :( it wont shift into third gear. I disconnected the kickdown link to see if it would shift into third, nope. so it rules out the kick down linkage not being where it should. what might be the problem? 1 and 2 are good. reverse is good too. just no third.

okay how would that be fixed? I dont know much about transmissions. is there anyone in the socal area that can help me or anyone here that can walk me through this?

Valves in the valve body sticking

If the 1-2 shift is normal then it is the valvebody.
Taking it off and moving the 2-3 valve works well but is a pain in the butt.

If someone else built it, then it's thier problem.
If you have to deal with it then there are a couple of things you can try before it might have to come out.

Did you run it till it got good and warm? (normal running temp)
Did you try doing 70 in drive and see if it will come loose?

If neither one of these works you will have to pull it down and move the valve by hand while rinsing the lands in runs in.

We can help you with pictures and descriptions if needed.

I have not tried driving it at 70 as of yet. a question, will any additives help the valve? if not then yes I guess the next thing would be to remove the valve body and do it by hand.

Sometimes when you warm up the trams to operating temp and let it set for a day or so it frees up.

as said above...if the throttle pressure linkage aka kickdown linkage is out of adjustment it will keep it from shifting into 3...

disconnect linkage at carb...drive around the block...see if trans shifts thru gears ....will shift really quick since the linkage is hookup......if does shift....then you need to find FSM to set it up correctly...

torqueflites NEED that linkage to work properly/......

unless I missed a sentence or two, you have not said that reverse is good, ok or weak on apply. This clutch pack is the same as 3rd gear. So if reverse is good, then it is in the valve body as suggested by others....more than likely. Did the trans shift prior to this? Has it been rebuilt? Did someone install a shift kit? A bit more info may be helpful. Good Luck. Valve bodies are not that bad to work on. Especially the 60's and 70's vb's

Attachments

• 65 Dart in Summer of 2010 wheels up.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 176
I have not tried driving it at 70 as of yet. a question, will any additives help the valve? if not then yes I guess the next thing would be to remove the valve body and do it by hand.

I musta got mixed up between another post or something, as I coulda swore he said he disconnected the linkage and it still woud'nt shift.
I just went back and looked and sure enough, no mention of it in this thread.
Hm,,,

Anyway, heck ya it could be an overadjusted or stuck TP linkage.
Then if thats not it and it ends up actually being a stuck valve, then there is an additive called "lubeguard" that works sometimes for valves in the valvebody and governor both.
Could also waste the money and not fix it too.

yes i posted twice by accident no mix up just when I posted this last I couldnt find it so I reposted. I already took the kickdown linkage off and drove it around the block and nope no shift. yes reverse is good. first and second are fine. it will rev up act like it wants to shift into third but no go. took it on the free way shifted into third but as soon as I got off the free way it started sticking again. it shifted good when I first drove it around the block or at least I thought so but I dont think it was just purely out of excitement I most likely didnt notice as I only drove from my house to the gas station which is around the block

yes i posted twice by accident no mix up just when I posted this last I couldnt find it so I reposted. I already took the kickdown linkage off and drove it around the block and nope no shift. yes reverse is good. first and second are fine. it will rev up act like it wants to shift into third but no go. took it on the free way shifted into third but as soon as I got off the free way it started sticking again. it shifted good when I first drove it around the block.

Ok, then I'm not loosin it. :D

That is good info to go on, and it does sound like a sticking valve so the additive may do it.

At what speeds do you get the 1-2 shift with the throttle pressure rod off? (this is kind of important)

yes i posted twice by accident no mix up just when I posted this last I couldnt find it so I reposted. I already took the kickdown linkage off and drove it around the block and nope no shift. yes reverse is good. first and second are fine. it will rev up act like it wants to shift into third but no go. took it on the free way shifted into third but as soon as I got off the free way it started sticking again. it shifted good when I first drove it around the block.

This indicates to me it's either a governor problem (worn or sticking) or you disassembled the throttle pressure valve in the valve body and installed the sleeve backwards which holds the throttle valve too far. When you rebuilt it did you disassemble the entire valve body to clean everything?

This indicates to me it's either a governor problem (worn or sticking) or you disassembled the throttle pressure valve in the valve body and installed the sleeve backwards which holds the throttle valve too far. When you rebuilt it did you disassemble the entire valve body to clean everything?

Stuck governor would make the 1-2 shift late also though, correct?
That's why I asked when it does the 1-2 shift.

Stuck governor would make the 1-2 shift late also though, correct?
That's why I asked when it does the 1-2 shift.

Yeah if it's stuck it would. I wonder if it's worn not allowing enough pressure to build to energize the 2-3 shift valve? Either way, if that's the problem the 1-2 shift should be late as you mentioned.

Yeah if it's stuck it would. I wonder if it's worn not allowing enough pressure to build to energize the 2-3 shift valve? Either way, if that's the problem the 1-2 shift should be late as you mentioned.

Could be as simple as loose valve body bolts even.
Pretty sure he said it shifted fine until recently, so it's a possibility.

Could be. Actually he said he just bought it and is a recent rebuild.

Thats what it said before the thread got moved and combined I think.
In any case the OP has some things to look at now.

You did not mention the year of your trans. If it is old enough to have a rear pump, you could have the wrong filter installed. The newer filters do not have a rear pump suction hole.

I dont know the year of the tranny. it was built by john cope. I ordered it from him. everyone here said to buy from him so I did. friday Im taking it to a local trusted shop to look and repair if needed whatever it is thats going on. its a fully stock 904 from crt racing. its brand new rebuilt trans. I just havent had any luck with transmissons at all. its really bumming me out. almost makes me wanna say f**k it Im done with cars. I spent a grand on this trans. I work late during the week so I havent had a momeant to call him. its him and his son that works there in the shop. idk maybe his son made a mistake? no ones pefect I realize that as Ive made mistakes.

to reply to you. no I didnt do this rebuild. crt racing did.

You paid 1 K for a $80.00 rebuild. How do you feel about that now? Yes you got ripped off bad. Throw in 2 Hours labor max and you got a $300.00 Trans with labor.

You have every reason to be pissed off.

Build it yourself next time they are easy to do. If you can build Lego's you can do this trans.

You paid 1 K for a $80.00 rebuild. How do you feel about that now? Yes you got ripped off bad. Throw in 2 Hours labor max and you got a $300.00 Trans with labor.

You have every reason to be pissed off.

Build it yourself next time they are easy to do. If you can build Lego's you can do this trans.

to reply to you. I know how to do engines, thats easy. I know the math to do it and have done it a few times over. transmissions? thats something way different and I dont understand it or know anyone who does.

-
Back