Need Help........

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
Hi guys...
I have a dilemma and I know some of you can help.
I have a '72 Duster I'm in the process of doing a ground-up on. Though I'm a long way away from paint, I have (somewhat) determined I want to try to stay with the factory paint code GA4, which I'm told is "Winchester Gray Metallic". Does anyone have any photos they can post of this color on a Duster? And if you have some other suggestions as to your favorite '72 Duster paint/decal scheme, by all means post them! I'm still in the planning stages for paint but will be painting the engine bay soon so I need to make a decision. Thanks in advance for pictures and your input. :scratch:

Yep, that's the color! It needs something to set it off, though. Not sure if a black or white stripe w/340 would look better?

what color is the interior? that should help guide you on the stripe choice. i think that black will be the color that you should choose though, as i think white will tend to get lost in the color. it will truly be a great combo. look forward to seeing the finished product.

The interior is, and will remain black, even though I'm going to re-carpet and recover the front seats. I think black is the color of choice for the stripes too; just not sure if the black will "disappear" on the Winchester Gray Metallic. That's kinda why I was hoping to see some pix of the color w/ stripe package and numbers on it. Now that you guys mention it, it does seem to be a fairly rare color; I think I've only seen a scant few Demons and 'Cudas in this color. I wonder if any of you historians out there could tell me how many Dusters and Demons left the factory in this color?
As I said, I'm not 100% committed to going with this color scheme, as I know there are some killier color combos out there; but now the fact that there appear to be so few A bodies in this color scheme has me a bit intrigued......
BTW-did you guys see the price they were asking for that 'Cuda??????

to me it would be no doubt that i would be putting back that color. i just got back from the all chrysler show at carlisle. there were alot of the high impact colors, hemi orange, tor-red, plum crazy, sublime ect... the ones that stand out are the odd and different colors. i think your color would be quite a conversation piece and stand out amongst the crowd with the black stripes on it. only galen would be able to break down the color numbers for you. i will look around and see if i have any pics of that combo but i doubt it. as for the prices, you should see what some of the a-bodies are bring now!

here is a grey. not sure what grey but it will give you a little idea. below is a gun metal grey( winchester grey for plymouth) on a charger. as you can see with black stripes and interior. stunning in person....

33.JPG

DSC00949.JPG

Holy Smokes! That is sharp with the black stripes!
Now I can't wait....you guys definitely have me thinking "original" now!
And for a "sort-of" related question; since it's obvious the original motor was not in this car when I bought it (though it was 340/4-speed equipped) how much collectible value should I expect to lose by not having a matching-numbers motor? I intent to keep the rest of the car as original as possible.......

non matching drivetrain can have a big effect on cars from what i have seen. on a duster? well i have seen 5 to 8 thousand dollar difference on a nice car.....if the drivetrain is at least date code correct for the year then it will help some. honestly, it depends on the type of car more than anything. at carlisle this year some of the a-bodies are starting to show their collectability. i woldn't worry about it too much if i were you, it will still be a great car!

The Black stripes are definately the route to take, they look hot and the white would be too much of a stark contrast. The Winchester Gunmetal Grey with black interior, black stripes and 340 decals would look hot and this would definately standout from the plum crazy and hemi orange rides. It seems obvious which route you have to take :headbang: Kepp us informed and post pics of the outcome, goodluck CaptainKirk!

I have what is supposed to be the correct fender tag for my sons 70 duster. It has GA4 for paint code. But, I don't see this code available in 70. Help

-
Back