Need help!

-

BarryC

'74 Duster 360
Reaction score
Needing some help here. I had a master cylinder go bad after 21 years. It started leaking out the rear of it. I could fill the reservoir and had great brakes but after it sat for a few weeks, it would be low again. I replaced this master cylinder with another remanufactured unit, which actually looked like a brand new one. With this one, my front brakes done very little braking. The rear drums would try and lock every time. Took this one back and got a brand new master cylinder, cardone 13-1571. This one does the same thing. Everything bleeds out good. All air removed. Front rotors have a slight drag on them and rear drums are free spinning, but when test driving the fronts don't help at all and the rears try to skid. Check the rod length, it has free play. Linelock will not hold whatsoever because front rotors won't grab tight enough. When up on jack stands and spinning the wheels, them seem to grab because I can't turn them by hand. It is in a 1974 duster with power disc/drum brakes. Don't want to put manual proportioning valve on it because of originallity. Shouldn't have to because of everything is original and worked fine before. Any ideas? Please help. Thanks guys.

Sounds like the proportioning valve needs to be reset. Do a search on how-to.

Even though I'm getting good flow from front and rear and my brake light is not on? I thought maybe the proportioning valve, but I don't see any way to reset it like the older ones with a plunger pin.

Did you properly bench bleed the master and bleed the system ? Upside down calipers are a common mistake. The bleeders need to be at the top. Not saying your mistake, thinking previous owners mistake.

Yes, bench bleed all air from master. Calipers are original to car with bleeders on top. They are the single piston type mounted to the front of rotors. Had good brakes with old master. New unit has problems. Was wandering if anyone else had problems with these new cardone master cylinders. Maybe something internally different from the original master cylinders?

I've had a few reman'd master cylinders fail, seemed to have died during the bench bleed process. They do get stroked to much farther points than they would in use.
This is another reason ( may be my main reason ) I purchase parts from local vendors whenever possible.

-
Back