Need info on loose 74 caliper

-

74/6Dart

Reaction score
I got a 74 Swinger with a lose caliper (drivers side front) its bolted in tight with the spring retainers working well, but it still has enough play between the knuckes that it knocks a bit on rough roads and grinds a little on slow stops. I greased the ways/groves and bolted it up and it's great for a little while then it starts in again. What can I do? If I get a rebuilt caliper will that one have the same problem?

The calipers are not mounted rigidly. They must be able to slide as the pads wear. Since the piston only advances from the rear, if the caliper were mounted rigidly, the rear pad would burn up quickly. They do have rubber bushings and or o rings that are supposed to keep them from floppin around. Maybe those are missin. You need to use something like Permatex Anti Seize Compound. It is resistant to very high temperatures. Some pics might help so we could confirm there's nothin else goin on.

...............U do know that ur supposed 2 use the little rubber band along with the spring clips......2 per side...........kim........

...............U do know that ur supposed 2 use the little rubber band along with the spring clips......2 per side...........kim........

X2 and you are supposed to "bend" the little tabs on the pad to fit TIGHT where they sit on the caliper or they will rattle/knock like crazy...
I'm guessing that the pad is the issue, but between the rubber band and adjusting the pad you should be good.

Agreed. The backing plates are stamped out and no tolerence is held. Some need burs filed off. All need a tang tweak here and there. The rubber bands around the caliper support fills and cushions the space there But they are almost always missing from used assemblies.

I think your right about the rubber bands because I have not seen them at all. And the small anti rattle clips for the pads are working fine as well as the larger retaing spring clips (they are bent and tight) and the bolts are nice and tight. Also you mentioned tweaking the tangs on the backing plates and that has been done quite thoroughly. And how are the rubber bands supposed to work and be installed. I'm guessing you can't get them alone so I'' probably need a remanufactured caliper. Right now I can grab the caliper by hand and rattle it while its all assembled. It's definetly not the pads (triple checked them). Can I get away with regular rubber bands, if so what size?

Thaks for all the help you guys!

Having the EXACT same problem, except mine rattles whenever I hit a bump. I have also adjusted the pad, but I'm not sure I'm using the rubber band the right way. If someone could post a picture, that'd be awesome!

Have you made sure the outer pad flanges are tight against the cailiper?
If the flange is not rubbing against the caliper, it will let the pad rattle around,esp when you hit a bump.

PAD.jpg

Adjusting the pad helped, but the diagram in the link I posted above did the trick. They call the rubber band an "o ring", it gets placed around the groove that the caliper fits into!

You are correct about the "o" rings (really rubberbands - got mine in an anti rattle clip and mounting hardware pack!!!) they do fit on the caliper monting bracket in the groove that the pad fits in and they need to be coated all the way around outside with silicon lube (comes in the pack) to prevent oxidation, but I can tell you now from experience that they are junk. One of them that I installed in Feb. while temp was 60 shredded 1-2 weeks after it was installed and I haven't checked the other one for some time it may be toast as well. They both were coated with high temp brake grease in the mounting grove. I live in Pheonix, AZ and the temp hits 115 most of summer and dry as hell all year. The problem is that the caliper and/or mounting brackets wear beyond specs and then don't fit. But the companies that rebuild the calipers just send a rubberband with the ones they sell. In my case the caliper on the car when I got it was worn out dimensionally, but getting a rebuilt caliper is a gamble. And then of course what to do if it's the mounting bracket (there are no rebuilds that I know of). So your left either Mickey mousing around or getting new brakes. I haven't decided what I'm doing yet. Do some research and good luck.

Welp, this is still driving me crazy. I'm gonna try putting a strip of rubber in between the caliper and the retainer clip. Not pleasant to drive at all right now....will report back.

Have you made sure the outer pad flanges are tight against the cailiper?
If the flange is not rubbing against the caliper, it will let the pad rattle around,esp when you hit a bump.

PAD.jpg

wow 30 years doing my own brakes and i did not know this.

-
Back