Need Info on slant 6 to V8 swap

-
I have a similar question. I’m not really a car expert but I’m learning more and more every day. Anyway my question:

I have a 1972 dart that had a slant six, I was given the car by my sister after she didn’t change the oil and the engine blew up. The slant six was takin out later on along with the tranny and the driveshaft. I have a 360 small block that I want to put in it, I think that dart has the small 7 1/4 rear end in it. I’m trying to get together everything I need. 1973 Dodge Dart

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/5754004

I’m thinking about getting this 73 dart with a 318, it should have the bigger rear end I need and a v-8 k member as well as the drive shaft I’m hoping it has a 727 in it. Any suggestions or what else do I need that this 73 wouldn’t have ? Also buying that dart should save me alot of money in parts right ?

Chrysler Richens... Don't hijack his thread. A 72 is a totally different animal... Start your own thread.

Having put several V-8s into early A-body's, I disagree with a lot of the initial information.
In a nutshell, no need to change the k-frame as you can get new or modify 273 mounts to work. Do Definately up-grade the brakes to 10 inches or disks if you wish to drive it on hwy 27 or in much of this Florida traffic. Also, 50 plus year old, weaker slant six bars shouldn't be trusted to drive the car with a V-8. There is a reason that Chrysler engineers used thicker bars in their cars when the cars had increased engine weight. Without a sway bar, definately up-grade the torsion bars if you want it to handle at all. The slant 6 66Dart should already have the V-8 drop center link and find yourself a 273 V-8 oil pan and pick-up tube for the 318 or 340. A 360 has a unique pan and the 273 pan won't work on it, but a mallet will help make it fit the early K frame on the right front.

Last edited:
I’m not here to hijack anyone’s thread. I’m here for answers! It wouldn’t let me start my own thread because I’m a new member..... and I didn’t mention it originally but ya I was planning on getting different torsion bars. Thanks for ur info tho

Valliant63 also sorry I am new to this forum, I just figured out how to create a thread. so my bad!

-
Back