Need insight on wierd problem

-
I was also skeptical on the air bubble crap. I was hoping a check valve or something got stuck and adjusting the screw might help.. I triple checked all the suspension parts and it is still doing what it did. I highly suspect the gearbox. I will be getting it warrantied this week and update after I get it installed.

An air bubble in a manual box? That's a new one since they are packed with grease and there is always air inside since it's hard to pack one fully without some being in it.

Your right on that one. I'm throwing the bullshit flag on that one. If it is a new box with a warranty do not attempt to adjust the pinion nut. That will give them an excuse not to exchange it.

steering box is loose and shifting position, possible bolts are bottoming out and not holding box to frame tight or not torqued to spec

The box it tight. I even tried to move it with a long crow bar. Its not like this has happened since its been installed. it started suddenly. After a hard turn. I had my daughter turn it while I was looking everything over. Nothing moves. I drove it yesterday and everything is tight other than the wheel off alignment

If it's not shifting the UCA, then I suspect the pitman arm pin-taper does not fit the centerlink pin-hole taper. But a shift at the taper would not affect the Alignment;only the steering wheel centering.

How about the splines from the coupler to the steering box? are they good on both parts?

Did you know what was adjusted during the alignment to solve the problem? That could help point you in the right direction as to where the issue is.

I am a competent person to handle it. I rebuilt the car why wouldn't I be able to figure it out. I ask for insight from a little more experienced people on this particular set up than I am. No shop around has the experience on this car. Most won't touch them because they are afraid to mess with them or do not have the correct specs. I would rather do it myself anyway. I know it will be done right.

Is it possible the U bolts on your rear springs are not tight enough? Maybe the hard turn is shifting your 4 wheel alignment and then it settles back after a few miles.....

I don't see any damage to anything. K frame looks good and solid. I can't see the ball joints causing this particular issue. Its either in the pitman arm or the steering box. I have to pull the arm anyway when I remove the box. SO I will check it all at once.

Whatta ya know. I did what the guy said and turned the screw in then back out realigned the front end and all is well so far. Wheel is staying straight. I hate gremlins

-
Back