Need name of part that holds door open on 71 Scamp!

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need to know the name of the part that goes on the hinges and keeps the door from shutting when you open it on a 71 scamp....it looks like a long peice of metal...i can't realy describe that much better besides the fact that its supposed to keep the doors opened when you open them....Would a dealer carry this part, or would i have to call a specialty place (i.e national moparts) to find it?

Thanks guys

That is part of the hinge. rehrenberg is a seller on the bag that has hinges at a good price.

I found out that the part is called an S spring, but i cant seem to find anywhere that sells it seperatly....does anybody know where i can get this spring for the hinge seperatly? Also, if thats not an option is there any hinges off of newer vehicles that can interchange with my 71 scamps hinges? I was told something about 80's dakotas maybe working....

thanks
Matthew

I do know that the hinges on my dads 88 ramcharger are the same.

That is correct. The hinges on my 69 Dart are the same (top and bottom) as my 1990 Dodge Power Ram.
On a related note, that same S spring is found on early shark Corvettes, and always breaks. The Vette vendors sell a replacement S spring, but a special tool is also needed for installation. It is not easy to replace this S spring, and I have heard many stories of guys getting hurt trying to install it.
Best to buy a new hinge because if it is worn enough to have broken the spring, I would imagine the pin is also worn.

George

I replaced the S springs on my hinges and it was actually quite easy. At the time I found a vendor on ebay selling them. Resto Rick also sells them as part of kit for rebuilding your hinges. I spent a great deal of time searching high and low for a direct source for them but had no luck.

http://www.restorick.com/products.asp?id=&pg=3

Well I just replaced the hinge pin and bushings on the driver side, and the passenger side hinge pins and bushings are in fine shape, its just that on both sides the spring snapped (dont even know how it hapens but it did)...Would it be okay to use used hinges off the dodge pickups, or would i be better off buying the refurb kit that 70duster440 mentioned...it would be great if you could just buy the spring seperatly, but no so far knows where to get em

-
Back