-
Status
Not open for further replies.

karwash

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I am looking for new upper and lower ball joints, tie rods ends (both sides) and right brake hose for a 66 Plymouth Valiant Wagon. Anyone know where I can find these parts??

I assume wagons are the same as 2 drs. I got my suspension parts from rockauto, ebay, and Autozone. You can buy kits, but I did better by shopping around, plus got some upgraded parts. Lower ball joints for early A's used to be real expensive. I paid ~$65 ea at Autozone. I later got more for ~$15 ea on ebay. I recall they were "Moog Worldwide" or such (made in China). Are you sure your bushings are OK (upper & lower control arms, and strut rod)? Those usually wear out first. I re-used my upper ball joints and tie rod ends since fine, and just replaced the dust boots w/ polyurethane type.

I agree with Billgrissom, these are pretty common, readily available parts, from numerous sources. The only thing I'd add is that if you need lower ball joints it's highly likely you need Lower control arm bushings, so check this out or you'll end up doing the labor portion of this job twice.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. The right upper ball joint let loose while I was driving. Fun Fun Fun!! I going to redo the entire front end.

If the upper ball joint came out, the threads are likely stripped. That usually happens when a clueless mechanic tries to press them out, not understanding that they screw in. The probably just jammed one back in and didn't tell the owner. Most people tack weld the new ball joint in to secure it, or replace the upper control arm (~$15 used). BTW, you need a special socket to unscrew the ball joint, though I did use a big pipe wrench to remove them. I later bought the socket so I wouldn't scratch my new paint.

Thanks again! OK I've decided the best way to go is redo the entire front suspension. Can anyone give me an idea who has the best price on a complete kit??? I saw one on ebay for $600.00. Can any company do better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back