Need new tires/stance for my Scamp

-

71 Scamp

Sick Boy
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have no experience when it comes to tire/wheel size. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to put some bigger/wider tires on the rear of my 71 Scamp. Right now it has 195/75/14. How big/wide can I go without having any clearance issues? What is the biggest I can put on my current rims? I'm planning on installing some air shocks before I get the tires. I went to my local tire store but they were no help at all.

Here's a shot of my Wheel if that helps at all.
wheel1.jpg

You should be able to run at least a 225-60-14 tire on that rim. Best to do some work with the measuring tape first though. See how much distance you have to the wheelwell lip and to the rear springs - when your tires are properly inflated. Then go on line to some place like Tire Rack and check the width/height of your current tires, and the same for the tires you want to put on there next. With that information, and your clearance measurements, you should be able to make an informed decision.

Those are 5.5" wheels. You can go to a 235/60-14 on them,no problem.
Here is a pic of my Dart when I had 235/60-14's all around on steelies.

Also another pic with 205/70-14's on Rallyes.

I liked how it looked with either tire. Just depends on what "look" your looking for.
Deffinately go with a white letter out.Makes it look a little meaner.

Picture 396.jpg

Picture 414.jpg

If it was me I'd forget about the air shocks. :wack: Get the right wheel/tire combo & it'll fit in the wheelwell without them. I dunno', maybe you like getting your teeth rattled out of your head :shaking: & your kidneys turned to jello. :-D Then again, I had them on my car when I was a pup.....& I didn't need them for clearance. Like almost everybody else in the mid 1970's, I wanted the :bootysha: end of my car jacked up. :banghead:

Didnt see the Air-shock part.
Air shocks are not a good idea on an A-body. They can rip the upper shock mount out.This is a known fact.

Instead,put on a set of KYB's.Your car will like them !!!!

By the way,what engine is in your car ?

Hey guys, I have no experience when it comes to tire/wheel size. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to put some bigger/wider tires on the rear of my 71 Scamp. Right now it has 195/75/14. How big/wide can I go without having any clearance issues? What is the biggest I can put on my current rims? I'm planning on installing some air shocks before I get the tires. I went to my local tire store but they were no help at all.

Here's a shot of my Wheel if that helps at all.
wheel1.jpg

245/60-14 will just fit under that car. my dart had the 245/60-14 on it. here is a pic..

P1010145.JPG

Didnt see the Air-shock part.
Air shocks are not a good idea on an A-body. They can rip the upper shock mount out.This is a known fact.

Instead,put on a set of KYB's.Your car will like them !!!!

By the way,what engine is in your car ?

Good to know. Thanks for the info. Which KYB's do you recommend?
As you can see in my photos my Scamp is sitting pretty low. I like the stance of abodyjoe's yellow Dart.

It has a 318 in it now. I do have a 340 that will be rebuilt & painted one day... one day.

Good to know. Thanks for the info. Which KYB's do you recommend?
As you can see in my photos my Scamp is sitting pretty low. I like the stance of abodyjoe's yellow Dart.

It has a 318 in it now. I do have a 340 that will be rebuilt & painted one day... one day.

KYB: Front KG4509 Rear KG5511

Summit has them for $34.00 apiece.Pretty hard to beat.

I like the stance of abodyjoe's yellow Dart.

that had air shocks on it from the mid 90's until 2007. never had a problem.. they are fine as long as you don't go pumping them up to 150psi and all....

you can get springs now that are +1" or +2" from espo that will give ya the height too.

Here is the gold Dart,now finished. It now has 215/70-14 BFG's all around. This tire is real close to the E70-14 that came stock on the 340 cars.

If I had your car this is what I would put on it. I would also change out the (wrong year) star center caps and put on the correct cone type,dark argent center caps.

faucet pics 751.jpg

-
Back