Need opinion

-

TinyValiant74

Reaction score
Ok guys,

this is part confession, and part question.

let me get the stupid thing out of the way. I've never re/built an engine, but I want to and with time I think I could do a good job.

so here's the question, I was just looking on ma Mopar's site and I saw two blocks that caught my eye

Cast Iron Wedge 440
http://www.mopar.com/m_perf_subcat2Check.jsp?SubSubSubGrpID=132&dummy5=1173413260887

or

Cast Iron Hemi 426

http://www.mopar.com/m_perf_subcat2Check.jsp?SubSubSubGrpID=25&dummy5=1173413321037

right now i know that i'm probably not going to buy directly from Mopar but i know that I want it to be a big block engine and not the \6 that's already in there. But I don't know if these can even fit in my engine bay, (74 Valiant) I can cut the hood if I need to and i'm not too worried about money 'cause this is a long ways away.

so i'd like to know which one would be good for a mostly street and ocasionally strip build?

thanks in adavance.

Not sure about the 426...I'd avoid that anyway unless you have an unlimited bank account. Schumacher Creative Services sells /6 to B/RB conversion kits that should cover your Valiant www.engine-swaps.com You might check to see if they list a Hemi conversion kit as well, but you can build a big block with enough torque to burn a hole to China for a lot less than a Hemi. Just my .02 though.
Good luck on "Maxine" :thumbup:

I checked and they do make a 74 A-body \6 to BB conversion kit. it just reqires a little drilling. But I don't think Maxine will mind. it's pretty cheap too. thanks for the heads up.

But just out of curiosity, why are the Hemis so much more expensive? i know they have different combustion chambers and pistons but what else? or is the price just based on the name?

There is a ton to swapping in a V8 if you have none to start. Other items needed are transmission, rear axle assembly, driveshaft, exh manifolding and system, and brakes. Plus, cooling system upgrades. An elephant Hemi takes some special things too, like mmodifying the inner wells, K frame, and brake master cylinder. What effect are you looking for? Performance? a certain Elapsed time? WOW effect at cruise nights?

moper said:
There is a ton to swapping in a V8 if you have none to start. Other items needed are transmission, rear axle assembly, driveshaft, exh manifolding and system, and brakes. Plus, cooling system upgrades. An elephant Hemi takes some special things too, like mmodifying the inner wells, K frame, and brake master cylinder. What effect are you looking for? Performance? a certain Elapsed time? WOW effect at cruise nights?

I agree, if this is going to be mostly used as a STREET car as you stated I would recommend that you go to a small block. Still a big undertaking to make the swap but the overall driveability with a small block would be better if you intend to drive a lot on the streets. You will also need to replace your torsion bars with new ones sized to work with what ever engine combination you decide to go with if you want a nice ride and handling for street driving. And a small block Mopar engine is still an impressive engine. Forget about the SIZE issue, always comes up doesn't it............

-
Back