Need opinions on a 408 stroker build

-
My 500 HP 416 has a hyd purple 508 cam and 830 holley on a airgap. It is 10-1 93 octanepure fun. Starts working well at 2500 which is where the converter starts grabbing. great for the street. Gas milage isn't anything to brag about though.

That orange Duster crackedback put up launches well! The MPH really doesn't match the ET though. My 3050# (with me) fish was running 98+ and only getting 7.20 with a 1.65 60'. The Duster must be doing something wrong.

Pump gas is all I'm going to run. Dont care about the gas milage. How far is it bored, what stroker kit did you get, etc......This info helps out so much!!! Thanks alot!!!!!

As you see, there are a ton of different ways to go. I would sell the W2 stuff and go with The X head, or even a J head.

We have done a lot of these strokers, and the lowest powered ones still make 450+HP and 500TQ all day long.

We did a 408 about 3 years ago with bowl ported J's, RPM intake, Voodoo 40304 cam, 1.6 rockers, 9.75 compression, 750 Holley. It made 470HP and 520TQ. Torque peak was around 3700rpm or so and peak HP was 5400ish rpm.

That orange Duster crackedback put up launches well! The MPH really doesn't match the ET though. My 3050# (with me) fish was running 98+ and only getting 7.20 with a 1.65 60'. The Duster must be doing something wrong.

Yes, it works well. Your car has more HP and is 300+ pounds lighter than the Orange car (3375# IIRC). I'd work on the chassis to get it moving forward. There's 2-2.5 tenths in there waiting to bust out... :)

The orange Duster works very well from a chassis standpoint. It's about .1 faster in 60' than most of the estimators suggest. It's a testament to hard work and chipping away a little at a time. It 60'd in the 1.43-1.45 range on those runs being footbraked. Converter was a shelf Hughes 10" and was pushing through the brakes at 3200ish rpm. If it had the 8" A-1 converter I wouldn't be surprised if it went high 1.3's or a 1.40 flat.

Only thing wrong with it is it needed more HP to be faster, MPH wise. We guessed it was making 460 in the car with mufllers, etc. With his old 360 in it, ran 10.52 at 128, 1.37 60's.

Good luck with it.

My 500 HP 416 has a hyd purple 508 cam and 830 holley on a airgap. It is 10-1 93 octanepure fun. Starts working well at 2500 which is where the converter starts grabbing. great for the street. Gas milage isn't anything to brag about though.

Really? A car that ONLY makes 460HP is doing something wrong 60ft.ing 1.42???
Your looking at it backwards. You think the car should MPH better based on e.t. and 60ft....but actually with the power the engine made it should have only e.t.'d 7.20's yet it did much better.
Most guys don't want to talk chassis cause it's easier to make more power than WORK on the car. In drag racing, this is a big mistake. Just like circle track racing, if you plan to do well at the track, it won't be anything like a steet car setup.
Brian

Not trying to jack the thread... Well my point was with a 6.93 ET I would have expected the MPH to be higher. Looks like he is getting it all at the start and 1.3x 60' is damn respectable for the HP. My fish was giving up a lot at the line with stock street front shocks, stock springs, low street converter.

Gonna try harder with the Demon. Hope the old school coil over ladderbar setup it has works.

-
Back