Need opinions on gear change.

-

Kevin Jonker

Reaction score
Right now I have a 4:56 SG in my 4 speed, 68 FB Fish, with an 11:1 340, ported T/A heads, hughes solid cam 245/250@050, 560/575 lift and Eddy street tunnelram with vac. secondary 600 holleys. My problem is I now have 14" rims and 245:60:14 MT Indy Profile S/S tires. Way low geared I know. With money being tight, it will be awhile before I can afford 15" rims/275:60:15 soft tires and either S/S or Caltrac springs to keep the car up off the tires. I am thinking of going to a 3:91 rear gear, Will I still be okay with initial leave with 3:91's? The eddy TR works good right now and I don't anticipate much problem with the taller gear. Anyone have this combo before?

Lastly the Centerforce DF setup is awesome! This thing locksup and now have a real traction issue with the soft compound mickeys! Actually have scared myself once or twice.

I'd try it in pieces.

Do the tires first. Going from a 25.5" tire to a 28" tall like the 275's will make a change in the way the car revs. It would be like putting a 4.10 ratio in the axle with your current tires.

I assume you have an 8 3/4 rear. Why not pick up a 3.91 pumpkin and try it. If it works you know you will be close with the new wheel/tire combo later on. You can then sell the 3.91 pumpkin to help finance the new wheels. If the 3.91 center does not work for you sell it.

Rocket, by the time I find and pay for a used 3:91 pumpkin (hoping it's ok), I am halfway to rims/tires/springs. Strokerscamp, 5:13??? Wow I hit 4th gear at the end of the 8th mile now with 4:56! LOL

Guess what, this hobby isn't cheap. What is your max rpm, I think being in 4th gear @ an 1/8 mile isn't right, not if you can rev it to 7,000 rpm--which U should.

I would sell the tunnel ram set up,

I would sell the tunnel ram set up,

Why ? If they're tuned properly they work great !

If you spend the money on gears that match your tires then buy new tires, your just throwing money away on gears you don't need. I say save your pennys and just buy the tires and wheels first. Buying gears will just make it that much longer before you can afford to get what you really want.

With the correct offset wheels a 275/60 fits in the rear just fine.

DougsCuda.jpg

With the correct offset wheels a 275/60 fits in the rear just fine.

Looks like your running Cal-tracs, Will those tires fit with a stock rear suspension ?

Another option would be to find a couple of 15" steal wheels and put tires on them for now. you can get steal wheels cheap especially if they are painted and not chrome or coated. Just use them at the track and use your 14's on the street. People do that all the time. You can always buy the wheels you want later when funds are better.

Weel I am not going to sell the TR it works GREAT! Also yes I am shifting at 6800 rpm and hit 4th just before I went through the beams. I am sure it will go 7K or more just haven't pushed it that far on purpose. I may have to to get through the 1/4 though. I have a 25.4" tall tire with 4:56. My original thought was can I get away with the TR and a 3:91 gear with the 25.4" tall tires or down the road a 27" or 28" tall tire. I will have to center my rearend before a 275 will fit. It's close on one side with a 245 now. Since I don't go to the track that often I would like to have a street/strip tire on all the time. It's only driven a couple times a week at most. Plus a reg. radial would be somewhat scary since the sticky mickeys will break loose with not much effort on the street. And finally Yes I know about this hobby not being cheap (been into it since 1975)

Thing is even with the 27" or 28" tire it still will be winding going to the next town, just not as bad as now. I may just have to save up for the rims/tires/springs and go from there. Bummer is after we go racing next month, it will probably be the end of the mickeys now on back (burnouts) and the car will have to sit until the funds come available.

-
Back