Need opinions on my 360 build.

-

79JON

Reaction score
Im going to be building up a 360 for my 71 Duster and I wanted to run by some combos with you all that I was thinking of doing.

First, this will not be a race car or anything, I want a mild built 360 with alittle pep, but still be very drivable on the street.

I plan on taking the motor apart soon to see what it looks like on the inside, so hopefully it is in pretty good shape. I plan on boring it out 30 over, 3 angle valve job on the heads, balanced. Basically im going with the stock crank, stock rods.

Now for the fun stuff..

I plan on using the stock exhaust manifolds so I dont have to deal with the header headaches. Which cam would work best with the combo? Voodoo 262 cam? Or Voodoo 268? I wanted to run an Edelbrock Air Gap intake as well. Should I stick with a Edelbrock 600cfm carb? or should I go up alittle with a Street Avenger 670CFM?

Ive heard good things about those two cams, but since im running stock manifolds on the car, I didnt know if the 268 cam wont respond well with them on there. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

Get some one on here to recommend the right pistons too. You want to get that compression up to make some power.

You'll get different suggestions. I'd do KB107's.

Either cam will work well.

Definetly have the rotating assembly balanced, it will be the best money you spend on the engine!

KB107's, Voodoo 268 and a 750 CFM carb.

Headers would be a nice upgrade, but good headers generally aren't very cheap, and cheap headers generally aren't very good. As long as you run 2 1/2" dual exhaust, you'll be fine on the street.

Here's a bunch of 360 builds with dyno numbers...Most are probably hotter than you are planning, but it might give you some ideas, there are quite a few with stock bottom ends.

Definitely want to jump the compression to at least 9, 9.5:1. Should still run fine on pump gas. Header problems can usually be resolved by buying good headers, Dougs, TTI's and Hooker Super Comps (not the rest of their line though) all have a pretty good reputation. Not sure about A body, but I know that the e-body super comps (5115) stay above the steering link. Although they aren't really any cheaper than Doug's, only a little cheaper than TTI's.

With an air gap and either one of the cams you're thinking about you should be fine with a 750 cfm carb.

I built a 360 with similar ideas as you.Havent ran it yet so I cant tell you how it goes yet. I used 340 exhaust manifold because I wanted to keep the column shift,and also avoid any header issues. Just wanted a fun little street car,with some pep,and driveability like you are looking for.It sounds like your on the right track for what you want to do.Hope this help's.

360 .30 over
Flat top pistons
360 heads...slight porting
Edelbrock RPM
Holley 670 Street Avenger
Comp XE268H...268/280-.477/.480
340 manifolds...Dual exh....H-pipe...Flowmaster original 40's
Mopar Performance electronic ign kit.
904...2300 stall.
8 3/4....355 sure-grip.

faucet pics 642.jpg

That is really nice Johnny Dart. Your build up is exactly what im looking to do as well. You will have to tell me how that Holley 670 does when you get it going. I might just run the exhaust manifolds for now and save up my money for some nice TTI's headers. But go on and get the KB 107's and the 268 cam. What do you all recommend about milling the heads? Should I get them to do that as well, to get some more compression? Or should I leave that alone?

Johny dart's (Nice ride man, nice ride) and C130 cheif's ideas I like. The 268 cam still has a very reasonable duration for the street and exhaust manifolds.

I'd use the 670 carb and the exhaust pipe woul;d be 2-1/2. If you can afford to do X pipe exhaust, it would be worth it. Keep the small valves in the head. I wouldn't port them much at all, if at all. A bowl job would be it.

-
Back