Need opinions on radiators

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
I need your guys' opinions on radiators. I have a 340 being built, roughly 400HP. I don't have a radiator yet for it, but was wondering what you guys think I should go with. Stock 340 rad? Or aluminum? Or what? I read elsewhere that Challengergary is a rep for Champion Radiators, anyone suggest I go that route? I am hoping to run my clutch fan. Opinions?

I have a 1966 273 radiator in my 1966 Valiant, I had it re-cored with a high-flow efficiency 2-core. My 340 engine dyno'd 298.9 at the rear wheels, thats about 400 at the crank and my engine never gets hot, barely gets over 180 degrees on a hot day stuck in traffic! And, I have a stock 4-blade fan and no shroud :mrgreen: I went with the stock one cause I think aluminum ones look like they belong in a Chevy....

i guess a con is that most aluminum radiators you cant mount the factory shroud unless you get creative....

I put alluminum on my 360 it cools down fast when you shut engine off, it keeps engine at the right temp, it shines like chrome with a little elbo grease, I made a alluminum schroud for it also and shined the heck out of it, it looks great. 22 inch champion 2 years old no problems.

Bought a reasonable aluminium rad. Off ebay for $127 bucks shipped with tranny lines 6 months ago for my 340 (425 hp) and keeps temps. Nice and cool! Don't waste your money on high dollar units unless yur loaded.

Bought a reasonable aluminium rad. Off ebay for $127 bucks shipped with tranny lines 6 months ago for my 340 (425 hp) and keeps temps. Nice and cool! Don't waste your money on high dollar units unless yur loaded.

Could you give me the name of the radiator you bought, or where to find it? Thanks.

I think a radiator is a "cool" thing to have on the engine...

tekslk, how about posting up a pic of that shroud you made:cheers:
C

I just recieved my 22" Champion radiator from Challengergary yesterday. I haven't put it in yet, but hope to do so soon. The radiator looks great and was shipped to Canada very quickly. He was great to deal with. I have a 340 built with roughly 400HP as well and hope that this will work fine. Should know in a month or two.

Radiators are good. That is my opinion.

Got mine from here. Was not cheap, but it does look like a very well built unit. A bit of info from a guy that used to own a radiator shop....be warned it is on a Ford site....

tekslk, how about posting up a pic of that shroud you made:cheers:
C
I sent you pictures via cell phone to your computer maybe you can post them Im not that good with computer, but I am good with woman.

Thanks to Tekslk for sharing these pics with us:cheers:
I may try my hand at making one in the near future.
Thanks again,
C

Attachments

• 0314121911.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 357
  • 0314121907.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 349
  • 0314121903.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 322
I personally still prefer the old school look- but can understand somebody wanting to go aluminum. Have been there/done that with the whole overheating deal.

I ended up buying a radiator from Roy/SGBARRACUDA and had it recored x3. Put on a Mopar viscous fan and shroud and (knock on wood) have been running at 180 deg avg in sunny So Fla. Will get up 195 tops sitting in traffic with a 160 thermostat.

btw Gary (challengergary) is top shelf if you plan to do business with him.

Heres a pic of my setup:

Attachments

• radiator.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 289
Ialso have a electric fan in front of the champion radiator on a thermostat set at 200 where it comes on as needed, not very often with this radiator, sometimes when you shut engine off temp will climb, You can cool it down real quick with this set up.

I personally still prefer the old school look- but can understand somebody wanting to go aluminum. Have been there/done that with the whole overheating deal.

I ended up buying a radiator from Roy/SGBARRACUDA and had it recored x3. Put on a Mopar viscous fan and shroud and (knock on wood) have been running at 180 deg avg in sunny So Fla. Will get up 195 tops sitting in traffic with a 160 thermostat.

btw Gary (challengergary) is top shelf if you plan to do business with him.

Heres a pic of my setup:

Thats the same setup my fathers been usin for the past 20 yrs on his 68 440 charger. a bone stock radiator with factory core and no clutch fan with a 180 degree thermostat

my Duster came with an aftermarket 2 core 26" radiator and everybody(rad. shop & so called experts) said it won't work with a 360/430 hp motor with 4 spd. Wrong!
I had a backup plan and a correct core to rebuild($$). I installed the aftermarker radiator because that's what I had at time of install. It worked great and worked great again when I got my a/c going. No overheating issues at all, in any traffic situation in Fl.
I'll get the correct radiator rebuilt/recored and installed eventually, just for show.

-
Back