Need opinions on rear window install in a 72 Dart

-

lee g

Reaction score
Is it easier to put the seal on the glass and then rope it in place or put the seal on the car and then slowly work the glass into the seal with a plastic tool?

Just read some on this since I was trying to decipher an issue with the seal and the trim clips. It recommended seal on car and working glass slowly.

If anyone has done seal on car, then work the glass in on a Dart, i want to come and watch..as far as I can tell, its not possible.. (at least it sure as heck wasnt on my dart...) we had to put the seal on the glass and then rope it in

Rear windshield is installed differently from front windshield.
In the rear, you install the gasket onto the glass, then install that assembly onto the car.
The front windshield is the opposite -- you install the gasket onto the car, then install the glass into the gasket.

George

Rear windshield is installed differently from front windshield.
In the rear, you install the gasket onto the glass, then install that assembly onto the car.
The front windshield is the opposite -- you install the gasket onto the car, then install the glass into the gasket.

George

I should've clarified that in my last post.. I was just speaking of the rear glass.. but we did my front glass as you described, seal on the car, work the glass in... the rear was the opposite..

If its a fairly flat glass I will rope it in. Like those in the back of a truck cab, just too easy. If the glass is curved a lot I put the gasket on the fence, then glass in the gasket.

Thanks for the replies. I have some 3M glass glazing/sealant as well as some urethane glass sealant/adhesive. I hope to try the rear glass in the next few weeks. I know the front glass is gasket on the car then work the glass in.

I had a window guy come out and install my back glass he installed the window with the gasket on it, roped in, I had bought a rear window gasket from the Paddock right before they closed, window guy said the gasket was a really poor gasket, anyways we had to use butel to fill in the gasket under the window in spots, worked real well for about 3 years. Now I have a leak at the top of my rear window, I will be removing the back window this winter and having a new gasket installed and fixing the trim clips.

-
Back