Need Pics of Relocation kit on 65-66 Dart/Cuda

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
I,m gathering all parts for a spring relocation on my 66 Dart,also doing a mini-tub.I,m sure this has been done before on 65-66 Dart/Valiant/Cuda,s so any pics,advise,do,s don,t does will be helpful.I,m not doing this until the bad weather hits(winter)but want to get all the best info on the installation before I dig into this project.So any help will be appreaciated.Thanks.

car pics 66 Dart 017.jpg

Here are some pics. Some guys cut out the frame on both sides, but as you can see one side was left and plugged welded on the inside frame side. I would also claen and paint the inside of the framw as much as possible. Then coat with weld through primer, then I painted with Black.

spring2s.JPG

spring3s.JPG

spring4s.JPG

spring7s.JPG

pic4.jpg

Forgot one picture, I put 2 holes for the front spring hanger so it would give me some flexibility on ride height. On the outside of the frame kit I welded washers on, but not on the back side as it is also bolted through the original frame. Probably not necessary but thought it wouldn't hurt. I also set the rear end back 1/2 an inch for more tire clearence and to center the wheel in the wheel a little nicer.
I did not Mini tub my car as I am only running a 275 in stock wheel well on a 65 Cuda.

spring5s.JPG

Thanks Oldmoparsrule and Keith Mopar for the great pics and advise,with tire sizes,pics and measurements.I,m gonna PM Crackedback and MoPower for some more pics and advise with the mini-tub and relocation install.The more advise options will help with making this project easier.Thanks again,this site is a great tool when it comes to these projects!

Some guys cut out the frame on both sides, but as you can see one side was left and plugged welded on the inside frame side.

Hi Keith,
This is a very interesting idea. I think for those of us trying to stuff a lot more tire, this would make sense to do but saving the other side of the frame rail. This would put the spring more toward the inside of the frame, as opposed to the outside like you have it now.

Secondarily, it seems like this would maintain a lot more of the structural aspects of the frame.

Are there any down sides to keeping one "side" of the frame rail like this?

This may be how I do mine.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

Pics of relocation kit set up.
35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

Once you get it done, cut the rod

Leaving the outer rail is sometimes a good idea. You have to be carefull that the box doesn't get twisted up, because the inner side of teh frame isn't square.

You have to be carefull that the box doesn't get twisted up, because the inner side of teh frame isn't square.

Thank you also for the pics, and the insights on the frame rail not being square. Now that you say that, I do remember it tapering in.

pettybludart, thanks for the thread, Every little bit of help...helps ;-)

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

Hi Keith,
This is a very interesting idea. I think for those of us trying to stuff a lot more tire, this would make sense to do but saving the other side of the frame rail. This would put the spring more toward the inside of the frame, as opposed to the outside like you have it now.

Secondarily, it seems like this would maintain a lot more of the structural aspects of the frame.

Are there any down sides to keeping one "side" of the frame rail like this?

This may be how I do mine.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

I think the only down side as you mentoined is that you can't stuff as large a tire in the wheel well.

Cracked back... Very nice job!!!

-
Back