need ride height specs for 74 duster

-

john27pa

74 360/904 Duster
Reaction score
So far I have found 1 3/8". I don't want to hear anything about preference. I want actual factory numbers. I used to have a "picture" found online somewhere of where to measure and what to set everything at. Cant find that now. I am not getting enough camber and going through tires waaay too quick. I have bought the offset uca bushings and still not quite enough pos camber. Cant afford adjustable upper arms. I have almost all new parts-tie rods(both inner and outer and both sides), new upper ball joints, lower ball joints are still good. Two different mechanics said that everything is still tight so I shouldn't need lca bushings-strut rod bushings. I want to try setting height to factory-just for reassurance. If that doesn't work then its off to removing torsion bars and new bushings everywhere. I will make sure that no nut is torqued until ride height is set and car is back on ground. Car feels like it floats down the road. I have a 74 duster with disc brakes and sway bar. Also have 15" ralleyes on it because its hard to find 14" tires. I may put the 14" rims back on and get tires through tirerack or maybe wally world lol. Summer is almost here and the duster gets about 2mpg better than my Durango. My last duster-75 has the ame setup-disc brakes, sway bar, and 360/904. Never had a problem with alignment on it. In fact- that car was a donor car for my 74. Someone didn't like the front corner of my 75.

The only place you will find so called "specs" is to go back to "Ma" that that is the factory shop manual. If you don't have one, download one for free. Latest one is the 73, here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

I cannot imagine that the specs changed from 73/ 74, but I do have a 74 manual in paper

It says 1 7/8 not 1 3/8 This also agrees with the 73 shop manual, here is the page out of that

Attachments

• specs.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 237
EDIT The "Picture" you found online is likely UPdated settings from here:

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/front-end-alignment.html

This here

These are intended to be updated settings for modern radial tires and are recommended by those here

289d4j7.jpg

What are your actual alignment specs?

Positive camber should only be used for bias ply's. Radial tires should be set up with negative camber, as the chart above shows. The factory specs were for bias ply's, and are WRONG for any kind of modern radial tire.

But if you're wearing out tires that fast I bet its more than just camber. Camber has to be pretty extreme to cause rapid tire wear. I've run as much as -1* on the street with no abnormal wear whatsoever. If your tire wear is that bad, I would suspect your toe settings first.

-.5º camber, +3º caster, and 1/16" to 1/8" toe in is a good place to start.

-
Back