need slant 4 barrel help 170 225

-

340dart.812

Reaction score
Hello I have a 64 valiant with a 170 in it. I bought clifford 4 barrel intake and split header only to find the headers wont fit the 170. So can I use the clifford intake with the dutra duals?? Or am I in for more trouble??
Also I am looking to buy a 225 off a member of fabo what will it take to swap to the 225 as the 225 was an auto and my 170 has a a-833 behind it.
I want to stay with the manual trans.

And can someone confirm that the clifford headers wont work with the 170

IMG_0009 (640x494).jpg

IMG_0010 (640x480).jpg

IMG_0026 (640x480).jpg

IMG_0027 (640x480) (2).jpg

I would think the Dutra Duals would work with the 170. You can go over to http://www.slantsix.org and correspond with Doug Dutra (Dr. Dodge, I think). The 170 is a shorter block than the 198 & 225, so I can see where the headers might not work.

You may want to ask at /6 if all cranks were machined for a pilot bearing. (LA V8s were not). What you will want is a 225 with a crank machined for a pilot bushing. If no swap is feasible, a good local machine shop ought to be able to do the work. They would probably want the crank out of the engine, but what do I know? Good luck.

Nope, the Cliffords won't work with a 170. The crank register got bigger in '68 and that is the only thing that is going to cause problems with your swap. Slant cranks were drilled for a pilot bushing almost to the very end of production. Everything from the 170 will bolt up to a 225 as long as they are the same year range. That would be '60-'67 and '68 up. I've seen adapter rings to mate small register to large but don't remember where right off. I'll chew on it though. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help guys!!!!!

So all /6 cranks are drilled for the pilot bushing
but are you saying the crank flange is a different bolt pattern???
so what would I have to do get a later 225 flywheel and new clutch pressure plate??? if I cant find an adapter
How can I tell the model year of my 170????

and if I have waggin build me duals will they work with my clifford intake on the 170????

The 170 was dropped in 1969 and waggin's will work. the headers you have hit the water pump and some where else 8)
hear is my low deck 170, They do not make headers that will work on the 170 except Dutra Duals or these that waggin made me.

JEEP FRESH AIR 1993 4.0 031.jpg

mike I just read all your thread on victoria shes looking good
I think I will see if waggin will build me a set of those duals

about the 225 swap
I need to look into this different crank register bolt pattern thing any ideas????

Oh well I got time I wanna hot rod the 170 first!!!!

Look's like to me you have the great 63 Valiant signet 200 no post coupe

I sure enjoyed driving mine, I sold it about 4 years ago

LIFE%20027.jpg

LIFE%20030.jpg

Look's like to me you have the great 63 Valiant signet 200 no post coupe

I sure enjoyed driving mine, I sold it about 4 years ago

Yea it used to be a pushbutton now it is a a-833

Ya think this is your old car????

do you have any interior pics????

cuz the interior has not been redone yet

Yea it used to be a pushbutton now it is a a-833

Ya think this is your old car????

do you have any interior pics????

cuz the interior has not been redone yet

Yes I do 8) I would have to look for them, It should have a metal dash and all red inside
Where are you from ? This would be so cool to see that it was my old girl :-D

Uh its not red its like a kind of brown here I'll go take a picture right now wait here.......................................

look they are both missing the same front trim hood piece!!!!

Here is a picture that I had dun by a member here 8)

LIFE%20341.jpg

I have pictures of the Vin # on a disc some where, but that is definitely not my ol girl, not unless they repainted the int, removed radio and changed the stirring wheel out, and the red seat's, Not unless they stripped it and sold that stuff. what color is in the trunk and under the hood ?
I bet that 63 will move for a 2.7 liter 170 ci. Mine had a 225 in it.
Keep us updated and welcome to this great site :cheers:

Thanks for the help guys!!!!!

but are you saying the crank flange is a different bolt pattern???
so what would I have to do get a later 225 flywheel and new clutch pressure plate??? if I cant find an adapter

How can I tell the model year of my 170????

The bolt pattern on the cranks are the same. What changed was the diameter of the centering register on the end of the crank. It got larger in '68. You may not need a different flywheel if you have a '68 up 170, and you won't need a new clutch unless the one you have is shot. If needed, a later flywheel would solve the problem and probably be cheaper than an adapter ring. Sorry, my bad.

Count the number of freeze plugs under the intake. '67 and older had 3. '68 up had 5.

The bolt pattern on the cranks are the same. What changed was the diameter of the centering register on the end of the crank. It got larger in '68. You may not need a different flywheel if you have a '68 up 170, and you won't need a new clutch unless the one you have is shot. If needed, a later flywheel would solve the problem and probably be cheaper than an adapter ring. Sorry, my bad.

Count the number of freeze plugs under the intake. '67 and older had 3. '68 up had 5.

There is my other /6 guru :salute: Good to see ya!!:hello2:

Here is another great /6 man here at fabo 340dart.812
grumpuscreature know's what you need to know and one of many here :thumleft:

-
Back