Need some buying advice. 71 Scamp

-

Lakeeffect

Drive Fast , Take Chances
Reaction score
So i posted a thread a few days ago about a Scamp in Virginia i was checking into. Talked to the guy and Seems pretty legit. Dad also talked to him. He thinks its good enough for him to drive 200+ miles to go see. If i want it. (Him being the head Mopar nut in the family i listen)

http://frederick.craigslist.org/cto/1482583826.html

Supposedly the motor is from a 02 truck? this seemed a bit odd to my father and I. Fuel injection converted to Carb ?!?

SBP drums front and rear -
man steer/brakes.

Now i cant decide if i should buy it or not. I wanted to build a car with him when i got back from Iraq. Now hes talking about racing E-Mods again (asphalt now not dirt) I have all summer till i go to school in the fall i'm starting to think i wont finish a project. School i'm going to is 250mi from home and i wont be able to go home a lot.

this car "seems" Like i could get in and go Maybe do a little to make it mine.

Or buy a Solid project car and it may take a few years. For a lot less

suggestions?

as far as the fuel injection converted to carb, that is not all that odd. The newer engines have roller cams and lifters which is nice. I did the same thing on a 5 Liter ford that I put in my Willys wagon... I did not want to put on the fuel injection at the time so, I put in a 4bbl intake and carb.

I would be concerned with you being 250 miles away from home and that car having 4.30 gears. Also, you live in PA and that car has no heater?!? Just a couple concerns.

I would be concerned with you being 250 miles away from home and that car having 4.30 gears. Also, you live in PA and that car has no heater?!? Just a couple concerns.

Oh sorry No this wont be a daily driver just a summer car. Probably trailer it out to school with the rest of my stuff in september. My dads got a couple of b body 8 1/4 laying around. Probably find something if the 4.30 not cutting it.

$8K sounds a little stiff to me. I'm not too crazy about the green interior.

BTW, Erie PA to Frederick MD is way more that 200 miles.

the whole car color reminds me of my grandmas carpet in in house. Ha maybe thats why i like it .

8k seemed high to Us too. Everyone thinks their car is special. If it really is as clean and rust free as the owner says then i would pay 8k not to deal with body work. Hopefully my friend thats a damn good body man goes with my dad to check it out. if they do.

I used to go from Aberdeen proving grounds down by baltimore to Erie Constantly. haha I should have thaught about it. Why did i say frederick VA ether. ahhh I ment maryland. Its after 12am here in iraq im a bit sleepy.

the whole car color reminds me of my grandmas carpet in in house. Ha maybe thats why i like it .

8k seemed high to Us too. Everyone thinks their car is special. If it really is as clean and rust free as the owner says then i would pay 8k not to deal with body work. Hopefully my friend thats a damn good body man goes with my dad to check it out. if they do.

I used to go from Aberdeen proving grounds down by baltimore to Erie Constantly. haha I should have thaught about it. Why did i say frederick VA ether. ahhh I ment maryland. Its after 12am here in iraq im a bit sleepy.

First off Lake, THANK YOU for your service, and from my family to yours, Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday's.

There's a real clean green '71 Scamp here in NJ....I know the guy and have bought parts from him....It's a slant 6/auto, but is real clean.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1496711101.html

First off Lake, THANK YOU for your service, and from my family to yours, Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday's.

There's a real clean green '71 Scamp here in NJ....I know the guy and have bought parts from him....It's a slant 6/auto, but is real clean.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1496711101.html

I actually tried to call one day about it but like it says After 4 is pretty later here and its along walk to the phone center. I have owned high performance cars since i could drive and I'm afraid by the time i got a v8/8.75 etc in it i would have well over 8k into it but would like to to find out more about it.

Thanks for the well wishes!

i like the MD one a lot, dollar for dollar its a much better deal than the toms river one. 5G's for a slanty car, by the time you purchase and swap the drivetrain and convert to bbp with anice set of wheels youd be way over the asking price of 8 on the md one. i have seen the toms river scamp too.

The Scamp belongs to a good friend of mine, it should be good to go as is since he's pretty anal about his cars but I think he has an itch for another fast late model, he had a pretty quick LS1 camaro he sold to buy and build the scamp.

It runs really good as is but needs a cam or gear swap to make the most out of the combo, I would do the cam swap myself.

My advice you would be money ahead to buy a car like this for $8,000.00. Forget about a project, now days you can get more value for your money buying a car like this. Just check for bondo and rust but that car looks like nice in the pictures.

-
Back