Need some cylinder head help

-

Lomax

Reaction score
Ok here's what I've got. Im going to have a set of heads redone, ported, heavy springs 5 angle, 2.02's installed the whole nine yards. Normally this would be a waste of money on any of these heads but Im getting it all done at, lets just say a blessing of a price. Ive got sets of heads. the casting numbers are as follows:

273 V8 number 2843675

318 V8 number 4027593

318 V8 number 4323302

The last set is whats on my car now and I know they are "fast burn" smog heads and there whats in my car now. I didnt really want to use those as I have to kill my car to get them and after these heads are finished they are not going back on the engine in the car. I've got another on the stand waiting to be graced by them. Anyway, Help me out guys
-Will

Not sure what engine it's for, but I wouldnt use 2.02s in any of them. I'd just use performance stainless nailhead 1.88s and port the head to that.

Not sure what engine it's for, but I wouldnt use 2.02s in any of them. I'd just use performance stainless nailhead 1.88s and port the head to that.

The heads will be for a 318. .40 KB pistons zero deck. Im not sure what a nailhead is. tell me more

Your build will be similar to mine and I want to go with RHS heads but do not have the funds.
Here is an article of a 415hp build 318...
They used 360 smog heads and to reduce the chamber volume , the heads were milled fairly heavily to 60cc.
To get 10 to 1 compression

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...ine/index.html

Which head to choose depends on what compression you want?
what chamber sizes of the heads you have?
what kb piston you are using?
What cam as well?
TXDart

TXDART..... Hit the nail on the head...... RHS !!!!!! You will be happy you did it...

A normal valve for a chrysler is called a tulip valve because the head is concave in the chamber and the stem is tapered smoothly from the OD of the stem to the head. Especially at low lift with a small port the tulip works well. A "nailhead" valve has a sharper transition from stem to head, and the performance ones are swirl polished and back cut so they flow well. A valve from your 302 head is a tulip. A valve from a set of RPMs or RHSs will be a nail head.

ok, let me put this another way. My goal is 400hp. i have read about using those kb pistons but i have not bought anything as of yet, i have only read about those kb pistons on with zero deck to achieve my goal. I have been a motorcycle mechanic for years and while I am now the manager of an Oreilly auto parts store I am not that savey on cars. This is all a learning experience for me. I have always thought that mopars were the only "real" muscle car for me. I am leaning on the knowledge of everyone here to get what i am after.
-Will

With the right pistons, cam and bolt ons, any of those heads can make 400 hp. Especially with quality performance head work. So you're fine there. Motorcycles re no different with the exception of rpm peaks and power curves. Air still need to get in, and out. Get high quality machine work, a decent set of flat tops with good valve reliefs set to zero deck, and some basic head cleanup, and you can make those numbers. But it will be a more peaky power curve. The better the port work, the more well rounded the engine will be. There are a ton of builds out there for that. So i'd say do some reading up.

-
Back