-
Status
Not open for further replies.

SB69GTS

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
Hey guys, my son wants more power to turn those big 35" tires on his 96 dodge ram with a 5.2L (318) in it....318's in the 4X4 lack power, what would you guys suggest he do, change cams, change heads and intake....let me know what you guys think.

Supercharger, no doubt! Headers a big plus as well. Do you have to pass an emmissions test?

Did he change the gears when he went to the 35s? I hear this all the time from truck guys…. They put on big old tires without re gearing and wonder where all the power went.

I second the gear change, don't take it to a shop though. Find a guy that works out of his home shop or maybe a guy that can fab a race car. They tend to be cheaper, or learn to do it yourself

Supercharger, no doubt! Headers a big plus as well. Do you have to pass an emmissions test?

Hey rumblefish, does not have to pass emmisions test here, have done the cold air intake, running flowmaster exhaust, no headers, no cat. just mufflers.
Bogs on take off when u punch it, needs 1/2 mile to really get up to speed...lol. I don,t think it would spin the tires if its life depended on it....unless we put some gravel on the road to help it out. I can see the gear change to 4.56 helping on the highway for higher speeds so its not revving as high, but can it get the bottom end to pick up power. If he is mudding, would love to see that bottom end have more kick. Any thoughts

Numerically higher gears will rev higher on the freeway but will get you off the line quicker. with 35 inch tires you would want to be somewhere in the 4.10-4.56 range depending on your intended use. 4.10's will set you up for a slightly lower rpm range on the freeway so a slight mpg advantage. but for a little better off the line performance and any towing the 4.56's would do a little better.

Well after seeing loads of these come through the dealer and people saying " my truck doesnt have any power " We suggest this. Lower the tire size a bit... 33" will work as good as 35" especially in the mud bog. Most defiantely change the gear ratio. You have to do that to get the tire size / gear combo back in line. You can get away with the 35" tires with more gear, but it will NEVER be a hot rod. Lower gears will most defiantely get the truck moving off the line a lil faster. Lucky for you there is no emmisions there. You can open your exhaust up more, but remember these engines rely on some back pressure too.

so gearing is the way to go....but the consequences of romp-em-stomp-em mud-bogging is simple. You WILL break stuff. Be prepared.

hope you figure it out and good luck

-RPM

Have you used a Programmer, this will give you more power, plus you can change the transmission shift points, and correct the speedometer.

Thanks for all the replies, some great notes, the power problem on the 5.2 was when the 31 inch tires were on it, it just does not have any balls. The 35's did not help....lol. Anyone have any 4.56 gears kicken around ...dana44 in front and a 9.25 i believe in the back. Was wondering, it seemed to loose some balls when i removed the throttle body out of the 5.2 and replaced it off a 360.....do you think that would cause an issue. I would think the ecu would have readjusted itself after pulling the battery cables off for awhile. Tires and rims are new...so they are not coming off he says....lol. later all and thanks

That MOD is well known to loose bottom end torque due to the reduction of air speed. It will pick up top end and you'll notice it. When I get off the lap top, I'll hook you up with a guy that MODs the 5.2 throtle body to perform well.

OH yes, the 5.9 TB will work with the stock computer quickly.

I have an 88 Dak that is 2wd and makes about 400HP at the flywheel with a 360. Here's what we used; KB 10.5:1 compression ratio pistons, large port facory heads, Mopar purple cam .454(?)" lift. Edelbrock intake manifold, Holley 650cfm double pumper and Magnum manifolds. forgot to mention this is an LA 360...

I know it's been said but I'm saying it again. Gears, Gears, Gears!!! Going to bigger tires absolutely requires a gear change to even come close to what you had before. You need at least 4.30 gears. Even then those big heavy tires will bog you down and the bigger they are the more they bog you down so that's why changing to 35" tires didn't help. In reality I bet it slowed you down even more. Also if the TB you put on was bigger that'll drop torque which is what you need. My old 93 Dakota with a 5.2 kinda bogged even with 28" tires. I replaced the computer with a MP computer and then it would boil the tires. Of course I had to run premium or it would spark knock but it also got better gas mileage so it pretty well canceled out the diff in the cost of premium.

Try this some time. Take 2 tires. One 27-28" tall and another 33-35" tall. Give them your hardest try at rolling them across the lawn and see how much harder the big tire is. That's what your engine feels like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back