Need some help a904 Trans

-

stewy22

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a 76 dart with a 225/6 and a904 trans.It has a clifford 4bbl intake,edelbrock combo.My problem is of course the kickdown linkage.Do I need a part time kickdown or directly hooked to the carb for full time movement with the accelarator?I just installed the trans(rebuilt)and cannot get it to shift into third and stay there.Right now there is a linkage that moves with the accelerator.Do I need to make it operate after about half throttle.I cannot get this adjusted right no matter what I try.Lokar maybe?I'll even go to full manual shift if needed as this is my only car and I need it desperately.Thanking you in advance.........

Dave:banghead:

Start by disconnecting the kickdown linkage from throttle arm...
Check for binding by moving kickdown aft (hard to tell from pic, looks like it might)
Hold throttle wide open (by hand or someone inside car)
Adjust kickdown linkage so it goes back into throttle arm...
Test drive and check shift points...
You may need to re-adjust...

No binding that I can see,but I read online today that the 72 on up /6 used a part time linkage.So in other words, the throttle would be at about 1/2 before the tranny lever began to move.Is that correct?I will try your method tomorrow.Bump

I've seen as little as 1/8 throttle on one car, you'll need to test drive it and adjust as required...

Depending on how much the geometry has changed, you may have to go to lock nuts on the rod for adjustment and to allow it to slide some before contacting the bellcrank...

Of course, check that the throttle returns safely to the idle stop after doing any adjustments.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Thank you dart 273 for the help.Heres what I found today.The shifting linkage is worn out and does not hold its correct adjustment.This causes shifting problems,reverse not engaging,does not go back to 1st when taking off etc......So I temporarily fixed the linkage to be tight and all those problems disappeared.(New floor shifter ordered).So I adjusted the linkage per your instructions and walla ,third gear! I still have a problem, when I let up on the gas it immediately goes into 2nd gear and will not upshift.If I come to a complete stop when I take off it shifts fine until I let up on the gas again,then same thing.I spent 3 hours going up and down the street after making adjustments.It got to the point where it would no longer shift into third so I adjusted it to where it shifts the best but still downshifts when I ease up on the go pedal.Any ideas what to do next?:dontknow:bump

You're welcome!

It sounds like the Throttle Valve Linkage is still rigged incorrectly... It's hard to tell by the pictures, but it looks like the bellcrank would be pulling the TV up & forward as you open the throttle...

Take a look as you open the throttle, you should see the rod connected to the trans moving aft and when you close the throttle the rod should return forward.

OK, try this...

Loosen the forward nut of the rod that goes to the throttle arm so that it's approximately 1 inch forward of where it goes into the lever/bellcrank and take it for a test drive it and see where the shift points are...

:mumum:I think there may be another issue.I adjusted the linkage so it shifts perfect from a dead stop.Once I lift my foot (Even with very light throttle on takeoff)it goes into 2nd and will not upshift till I take off from a dead stop again.Governor issue maybe? I might install a stage three kit and shift it myself.Very frustrated.:mumum:At this point I would appreciate any suggestions no matter how dumb they might sound,from anyone.I am disabled and on a very thin budget.I really need my car to get to my appointments and stuff.Happy New Year!!!!:cheers:Bump

It sounds to me like a valve is sticking somewhere, could be the govenor or it could be the valvebody. The only way to know is to start taking them apart and work every spool valve to see that it moves freely and returns to it's at rest position fully.

Still seems to me to be an issue with the throttle valve linkage. It is nowhere near the correct geometry and would be the first place I'd start...

Have you test driven it with the throttle valve rod disconnected from the throttle? If so, what were the shift points?

I don't think it's the governor due to the fact it upshifts OK, but there are things to check first before pulling the tail housing or pan...

If you've driven it with the throttle valve linkage off and it still does the same thing, you should put a pressure gauge (0-300psi) on it and see what the main pressure is at idle and go from there. Any Motor or Chilton manual should have the procedure.

I did drive it disconnected.The shift was 1-2 about 20mph.2-3 occurred at approx 35 mph and then 3rd slipped bad with no drive to it.Right now 1-2 25mph,2-3 37mph and third pulls hard and normal as long as I keep some pressure on the accelerator.I just had the trans rebuilt.it has less than 100 miles on it.Could the valve itself be malfunctioning?bump

THANKS FOR THE LINK!!!!!!!! And thanks for the info.I'll keep trying.....I love this car otherwise.

I did drive it disconnected.The shift was 1-2 about 20mph.2-3 occurred at approx 35 mph and then 3rd slipped bad with no drive to it.Right now 1-2 25mph,2-3 37mph and third pulls hard and normal as long as I keep some pressure on the accelerator.I just had the trans rebuilt.it has less than 100 miles on it.Could the valve itself be malfunctioning?bump

OK, with that info I'm going to say blame the governor, but first check the oil pressure @ the governor port...

Basically, you should see zero to 1.5 psi stopped
15 psi 16-18 mph
50 psi 36-41 mph
75 psi 54-59 mph

THANKS FOR THE LINK!!!!!!!! And thanks for the info.I'll keep trying.....I love this car otherwise.

You're welcome!

I got that link from MiDi on the /6 forum
All of my manuals are carbon based (paper) and in storage :shock:

Yeah, sounds like in tranny. Pull trans lever all the way back; pull throttle all way back, linkage should fit back in. With just a tad of not moving back, at idle.

Just ordered a transmission pressure tester kit.should be here this week and I'll run the test.Thanx again everyone.I absolutely love this website.:newb:

Ditched the old homade linkage and replaced it with a turnbuckle that allows me to make the most minute adjustments.Tranny is now shifting as it should from a dead stop.However still drops to second when I lift my foot and will not go back to third till I stop and take off again.I'm thinking something is causing a pressure loss to the front clutch.Also rear tires are very tall 16 inch.In third I can cruise between 45-50 mph barely applying any throttle.I planned on changing those as soon as finances allow anyway.Would love to find a set of stock wheels.I'm learning more everyday so I'm writing it all down here hoping it may help someone else.I'm wondering if a transgo tf 2 kit would help.Also if going to a smaller tire would help to keep the rpm's up more in the normal rpm range instead of barely above idle at cruising speed.Any thoughts?Anybody? bump

Bump I finally purchased a cheetah manual valve body and put that in yesterday.Now third engages only at low speeds and then the motor freewheels at about 35 mph,even with light throttle.Drop to 2nd,runs fine,back to third,feels like neutral,stop,go through gears,got third gear,lets go at 45 mph this time.Reverse is fine.Governor??What do I check for?My pressure gauge is here finally.Are the pressures different with the cheetah?Thanks!!!Bump

:banghead:pressure tests are done.readings are normal.Tranny sometimes holds third gear but most of the time not.Im thinking sticking piston.looks like I have to pull the transmission again.500.00 dollars into it and I'm right back at square one.I wish now I had just spent the money and found a good reputable shop.I hope my mistakes help someone to not make the same ones I did.Be sure to flush your lines good and don't forget there may be trash in the torque converter.Since the kitty is dry guess I'll be walking for awhile.Well....thats better than driving a ford!!!!!!!Bump

-
Back