need some help decoding my center section and related components.

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
hey guys, just now getting around to inspecting/servicing my 8 3/4 489center SBP rear end (had a leak at the center section and I also had a growling noise while driving).....anyhow, leak was due to a bad seal and the growling appears to be from a missing axle adjustment lock down tab/previous owner never adjusting the axles and there being dang near a 1/4" of end play on them and the axle hub riding on the adjustment plate...etc...etc....

anyhow.....what I am wanting some more clarified info on is.....so part number decoding and thoughts and opinions on my setup.

a little background.......the previous owner had the rear end of the duster gone through and upgraded some time prior to my buying the car in 09. But he never told me what all exactly had been done and what parts were used etc...etc... (which is my reason for tracking down all this info in this thread). I do know that little to no miles had been put on the car after the work had been done to it by the previous owner. and i have put no more that 15 miles on the car since I have owned it as i have been restoring it the last 3 years....so everything is still basically new..

first of all.....I believe this is a clutch type sure grip ...correct?
IMAG0776.jpg

and isnt it the most desired factory set up to use?

IMAG0777.jpg

The part number on it is 5 31 68 A 26354x
can anyone tell me what that decodes down to? ( tried running the numbers through search engines and what not but with no luck).

also my ring and pinion is 4.56 ratio (41 tooth ring/9 tooth pinion) not sure who manufactured it, but normally you would find all the specs stamped into the side of the ring ....but the only thing I found was what looked to be a hand engraved set of digits which were 276 F . can anyone make any sense of that?.

also my axles I found part numbers 2800182 9 2 85 0
and 2800182 9 2 175 1

my leaf springs I found part numbers 1981 and 1982 on (which I believe i traced back to as being mancini racing heavy duty springs.

basically looking for clarifications on some of these numbers i have found (mostly so i know what is factory and what is aftermarker and so i know exactly what I have.....I don't like not knowing about stuff like that lol).

also if anyone cares to chime in and let me know what they think of my setup (good bad,ok,rare,trash) etc...etc...

any help and info is appreciated!

Well I can answer two of your questions, yes it is a clutch type suregrip and yes it is more desirable than the cone.

Are you intending to disassemble the center section? If so there are a couple of steps you should do before doing so.

no I dont intend on dismantling the center section.

everything seems to move nicely,the wear patterns look nice,back lash feels like its adjusted nicely......and the duster lays TWO nice black marks :burnout: lol. I only yanked it out to inspect it all seeming i was right there messing with the other issues i mentioned earlier.

Looks like your good to go then, pop it back together set your axle end play and rock 'n' roll.

Looks like your good to go then, pop it back together set your axle end play and rock 'n' roll.

Thats the plan!.

I need to find a adjuster lock down tab though (previous owner never installed it) and i need to get fluids etc...etc.. , also need to figure out what special lube additives to use now that i know for certain its the clutch style unit.

I run 85-140 gear lube with a bottle of suregrip additive. I found mine at NAPA. Put the additive in first then add gear lube to the fill point.

Castrol and valvoline makes gear oil with additive allready in it.Save some money and use there gear oil.They also make it in fully synthetic. Mark

Thanks, I'll have to do some searching on a good lube to use.

Anyone else have any info on decoding any of the numbers I posted?

Bearings feel and look good, like I said there was no adjuster lock down tab on the axles and the adjuster was backed all the way out giving roughly a 1/4" of end play and I could visually see where the adjuster fingers were riding on the hub metal to metal.....which would give me the growling noise.

-
Back