Need some help from a rust guru!

-
Many thanks to all for the input. Your tips are valuable and will help with the project going forward.

I do have a stick welder, but if I'm not the worst welder on the planet I could certainly give the winner a run for their money. If this and all the rest of the sheet-metal welding is beyond my capabilities, I will farm out the work.

A couple of valid points Mr. J Par, and I get it. Part of the problem was the initial hunt for the Dart. I already had a complete 383, 4-speed, and 8-3/4 for the car before I found it. I figured I was going to find a slant car to transplant the drive train, or maybe a 273 car. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I was going to find a very affordable, running, 340/727 car, albeit still with the original 7.25 rear end. That makes the situation more interesting. Now that I'm the proud owner of a 340 car, I may decide a healthy SB is enough for my street-fun desires and the BB will move on to another owner. Or maybe I decide to do the BB anyway. Maybe the auto is enough fun and the 4-speed hits the auction block. At this point, I'm going to get this thing street worthy and drive it for a while to decide what I really want to do. I'm stopping obvious deterioration and keeping the car indoors while I sort things out. Some stuff it doesn't make any difference when it gets done. Like the lights, horn, heater, ignition switch, brakes, etc all don't work. I'm aware I will be somewhat inefficient by doing things out of order, but I don't want to start a looooooooooong project at the moment. Get it driving, sort things out, decide where I want to go, then finish the car. It is indeed the dream car, and it will be done right in the end.
Just a different approach that's all. My dream car is going to be done right from the beginning not in the end...

Well if it isn't they just discontinued it in the last week. I just bought some. The paint remover I use is in a brown can. It is just standard paint remover.

I'd be curious to know exactly what you used because the EPA banned methylene chloride or whatever the chemical was called that was in paint strippers. This was a year or two ago?

I haven't been able to find a paint stripper that'll even put a dent in automotive paint since.

Blasting?
**** that. Who wants to deal with the mess and take all that time?
The D/A works fine.

I'd be curious to know exactly what you used because the EPA banned methylene chloride or whatever the chemical was called that was in paint strippers. This was a year or two ago?

I haven't been able to find a paint stripper that'll even put a dent in automotive paint since.
They didn't ban Methylene Chloride (the stuff that puts people who don't read the instruction to a permanent dirt knap). They banned the use of it in domestic paint stripper. I can buy a 5 gallon bucket of methylene chloride anywhere. There may be some who didn't take it off there shelves and some is still available here and there. I went to my local lumber/hardware store a few months ago and they had taken it all off the shelf. Roundup too. I asked them why do they still have ladders? Morons.

I believe MEC ( methylene Chloride) is available at places like Lowe's in Gal cans probably costs like $35 a gal??? It is potent stuff. I am no chemist but I believe it is related to chloroform!! Watch who you breath it!!!!!!

I would look at complete panels from AMD. The ones I uses were super straight and went in easily. If you farm it out it will be faster and less body work than patching in panels. I had a friend who is a body man do mine and he said I was money ahead in the long run doing complete panels.

-
Back