Need some help installing lca's

-

snapetwo

Reaction score
Ok so I pressed new bushings it, redid the one I pressed to far.
Figured a out a way to take the inner sleeve off the pivot arm, welded a pair of vice grips to it and pressed, ha worked great.

So the lca. First i had to stop at 3am, but I was trying to install the passenger side lca, and the damn tb adjuster "bar" that attaches to the tb socket kept turning when I was tightening the pivot arm nut, then getting stuck on the frame rail. Then I realized I forgot to attach the strut bar and had to pull it all off.

When i take another wack at this tomorrow, is there a better way to do it? Manual days I gotta get everything back together including tb's, discs, wheels, etc.....

Thanks.
Ps driver side pivot arm is missing washer, gonna try to find a few at ace hardware to use in place, anyone see any issues?

The TB adjustment bolt should turn easily in the rectangular nut, with no load on it, i.e. you should be able to turn it by hand. I put a little grease on mine. Yours may need rust removal. If still too tight they might be almost stripped and need replacement.

I think you will be OK with a hardware washer, if it is almost as thick as factory. The factory washer might be special hardened steel, so watch for the nut gouging your replacement. I think as long as you can torque it to factory spec it will be fine.

You can find many posts on removing the control arm bushings. Others have done the "weld washer to sleeve" method that worked for you.

Ok let me try to explain a bit better. The lca is bolted in right now, the pivot arm/tb socket are very lossely and finger tight. Same w strut bar, only a few threads on each.
The way I read the manual, I gotta bolt everything in loose, jack up the lca to ride height ( dunno how to figure that out) then add torsion bars.

Then, at this point I start tightening everything. Is this right?

I did attempt just to try and tighten the pivot arm as it looked like it should, but at a point it will start turning the "arm" that the screw from the tb adjuster pushes up on to adjust the tb.

So another question is, does tightening the pivot arm preload the TB? And the the TB adjuster block/screw in the lca provide for fine adjustment?

What i have done installed the LCA, pivot through the k frame install the nut very loose,install the strut rod in LCA and into the K,your upper ball joint not installed yet as you now want to pull the LCA down as far as you can at that point install the T bar.now install the spindle to the upper ball joint,now tighten the strut rod bolt finger tight,now your there,now turn the LCA adjuster a few turns to apply load,go from there,once the car is on all fours adjust the height hopefull the engine is in when you happy,time for the rack.

The torsion bars are installed with LCA all the way down with no weight on them
Do you have the upper arm installed?

Upper arm is install, spindle is on but can be off in a few seconds it's just ginger tight.
Pivot/lca is finger tight to the kmember at this point.

What i have done installed the LCA, pivot through the k frame install the nut very loose,install the strut rod in LCA and into the K,your upper ball joint not installed yet as you now want to pull the LCA down as far as you can at that point install the T bar.now install the spindle to the upper ball joint,now tighten the strut rod bolt finger tight,now your there,now turn the LCA adjuster a few turns to apply load,go from there,once the car is on all fours adjust the height hopefull the engine is in when you happy,time for the rack.

Follow this and you should be good

OK. So here is what I ended up doing, trying to follow the great advice of Snake ( I think i ran him off with my ignorance..sorry bud).

I undid the upper control arm, let the LCA hang.
The LCA pivot arm bolt was finger tight (lotta bar on the tb crossmember side on the pivot arm...)
Strut bar was loose on both sides too.

Ok so the setup, the car has been on jack stands at the crossmember for the TB. I left it there holding the car up, LCAs hanging down.
I inserted the TBs thru the TB member, had to fine adjust the position on the TB socket in the LCA - so i used the little arm that the TB adjust screw pushes up agains to adjust on the position of the TB socket in the LCA arm, got the TB slid into the LCA and the TB cross member.
THen I tightend the stut bar on both ends, tighted the LCA pivot arm but.
Then I put the upper control arm ball joint in, tighted it down and the lower ball joint.

That is where I am stopped until next pay day, I unfortunately forgot I did not have shocks, so I can't set her on the ground (or attempt to set her on the ground). I have $200 left for the car project, and its gotta wait until tomorrow, I found a guy wanting to get rid of a 5.7 2006 hemi for only $200. Says it has a slight knock, but ran coming outta car...worth a shot.

Let me know if I did this procedure wrong, or right or any opinions.

Thanks to all for help.

You can set the car on the wheels without having the shocks in, they only control the jounce, not ride height.

Sweet. I got it sitting on tires.
Thank you so much to Snake for helping me with the procedure.
And thanks to 5.7 for letting me know I can sit it down without shocks in yet..didn't know that.

Its holding itself up so far, I don't wanna bounce it yet without shocks, but its up.

-
Back