Need some help on rear window weatherstripping and install

-

articcolds

Reaction score
Hello
I haven't posted something in while and could really use some help . I have a 1968 Cuda notchback. I have had to purchase a new rear window since old one is pretty scratched up. The weather strip doesn't seem to roll down enough to cover the headliner window transition point at all. I have tried 2 weatherstrippings . Today I even tried to use the original window and it didn't change much. I took out the headliner after install and put 1/2 foam to help push headliner out more to seal against inside lip of weatherstripping. It just doesn't fit correct . Being there are few options available I can't be the only one that is having this trouble . I just don't know what to do or how to solve this issue.When I was building the car nothing was damage or done to the pinch weld around window. Any help would be great it's become quite a headache

20170524_124739.jpg

20170524_124715.jpg

Shouldn't there be some metal trim that covers this area inside the car? I had a 69 Cuda notchback at one point and could of swore it had a metal trim around the inside of the rear window, but that was years ago. My 69 Dart I do know has this metal trim inside.

I somehow still have the original rear window and original gasket for that 69 Cuda.

I wish there was metal trim it would resolve everything on inside of car. But it has a rubber lip on gasket tjat is suppose to cover the headliner attachment points that is all there is.

We've seen this before. The factory service manuals state that the top of the window goes in first. Soooo, how we install could be a factor. Me... I wouldn't want the gasket lifted away from the package shelf either.
I know the center web of a aftermarket gasket could be a tad too thick and just maybe the replacement glass is a tad too large. The simplest and really the only thing we can adjust is the fence that the gasket sits on. Using a grinder to trim that fence ( a sixteenth or so all the way around ) kinda equals rough framing a window opening in a wall. Must be the carpenter in me. LOL

You are exactly right about this. I the glass is a bit larger and the gasket is thicker. I hate to grind the pinch weld but I don't see any other choice . I searched for a different gasket but they are not cheap so I hate to start buying gaskets to see if one is thinner. Seems to be the standard with parts the tolerance or quality control is no where .

The factory tolerances were very wide too. That's why we don't see this problem every day.
We have to wonder how those factory workers dealt with this issue. Rubber hammers? Pressure on the glass until the gasket rolls in and lays right? With enough force the fence would dig into, nearly cut into, the rubber gasket.
Trim the fence versus climb up there and jump/stomp on the glass. I'm imagining a video of that. :)

I have trimmed the pinch weld today about 1/8 off on all sides . I am hoping this will be enough for this to work. I just don't know what else to do

-
Back