Need some help please.

-

JohnnyB

Reaction score
So I have a bit of a dilemma...My Dart is currently in Wyoming at my parent's house where it has been for the past 5 or so years. I live in southern california and I'm going to visit in about a month and I want to bring the dart back with me. I think that since it was running fine before I parked it, I should be able to change all the fluids, drain the gas, put a new battery in it (my parents took it out to use in another vehicle), maybe some new shoes and fire the bad boy up and drive away. OK, obviously I'll want drive it around for a couple days to make sure she's doing ok and I'll probably do a bunch of other stuff like bleeding brakes and maybe new plugs and such for good measure, but I think I can make the 1200mi drive in the dart.

My parent's on the other hand don't seem to like the idea. They're giving me the what-if this and what-if that and blah blah blah treatment.

So, my question is: what do you guys think? Should the slant 6 be fine to make the trip just as it has many times in the past? or Do I need to find another way to bring the girl home because she's been sleeping for too long?

Just do everything you said and make sure tires are up to snuff. Carry a good tool kit, a small floor jack and stands if possible. And make sure it`s LEGAL. carry a good spare and go for it. good luck8)

I think you should be fine. You'll definetly want to check the tires over real good and make sure you have a useable spare. You sound like a capable person.

I once bought a vehicle (physically) sight unseen, with nothing more than a conversation with the owner over the phone saying that the truck cranked and ran, would stop, had mismatched tires on all four corners, and all the lights worked and proceeded to fly to Dallas, TX with NO TOOLS, carrying nothing but payment and a credit card for Worst Case situtations and drove it 750 miles back to New Mexico....Granted going down the highway at 65mph at night...a exhaust hanger broke and I drug the mufflers about 1 mile with sparks flying!..I pulled off the road at a Truck Stop and borrowed a pair of plyers and some bailing wire and braided the bailing wire and secured it back to the frame...and Away I went.

A fluid change, tire inspection, service inspection of the brakes and lights and I would do it!

Good Luck...take a Digital Camera, that will be an interesting Road Trip.

A buddy of mine got a car that had been sitting for 10 years. He druged it out of the barn and took to his garage. He changed all the main fluids, put good battery in it, poured fuel in to the carb and fired it up. After a little smoke it ran fine. He later changed the tank and drove the piss out of it. I say as long as you have some knowledge of the mechanical works you should be good for the long haul. good luck...

See. You guys are on the same page as I am. I'm going to make a checklist of the things I need to check out and then just handle it! Now I just need to convince my mother to relax...

I'd also toss in a cheap electric fuel pump, extra distributor, fan belt and maybe even a water pump......that shouldn't take up too much space. And of course, duct tape, tools, jumper wires, fuses, mechanics wire and fuel hose........also, pray that the sock in the fuel tank hasn't gotten gummed up. Seems like I've had sooooo many fuel delivery problems over the years with cars that set up.

Me and a buddy drove a '67 Triumph TR4a that I bought, from Seattle to L.A. in a 2 day marathon......no problems, other than a fair amount of oil burning. Drove over a dead deer @ 5am and launched!.......got caught in a blizzard around Lake Shasta......fun stuff!! Yeah, bring a camera!!

Go for it, just do your homework. What route are you taking? Line up some guys along the way that are willing to help you (your parents will like that). I'm in South Denver and if you have problems around here I can help. Let me know and I'll PM you my phone # just in case.

Jim

If I were planning this trip, I would start by carefully checking everything rubber. Tires, wiperblades, hoses, BRAKE LINES, etc.

My list of stuff to do before I left would be to:
Drain tank and add a new sock.
New belts and radiator hoses.
Inspect the brakes carefully and add new brake fluid.
New tires.
Battery.
New fuel pump.
New oil and filter.
I might rebuilt the carb if time allowed. I would at least take a carb rebuild kit with me and a can of good carb cleaner.
Make sure the alternator is charging.
New plugs and wires

Things I would take:
Tools
Jumper cables
Fluids
Jack and good spare
Extra money
Give yourself an extra day or two for the trip in case something goes wrong and you have to stop somewhere and fix something.
I like the fuses, wire, and duct tape idea too.

OK, obviously I'll want drive it around for a couple days to make sure she's doing ok and I'll probably do a bunch of other stuff like bleeding brakes and maybe new plugs
I think doing everything and then driving it around for a couple of days is a fantastic idea! It will give you a good feel for the car and help to build your confidence in it. Hopefully if anything is going to go wrong it does it during these 2 days.

Plan your route and see if you can locate a FABO member or three on the way just to check in with. I'd give you a free bed and a place to park your car but I am in San Antoinio.

If you are driving through nortern Utah on your trip and have problems you could contact me. me and my buddies have the parts to get you back on the road. I will pm you with my number.

I'd be concerned with the brakes. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, or has the ability to absorb water. Yes, it should be a sealed system, but changes in temps can cause condensation in places you can't see. If you drove it for a long period of time like this, you'd likely start to get air where the moisture boiled off when the fluid gets warm. You can imagine the rest of the scenario. I'd also check the wheel cylinders to make sure they're not leaking.

However, I drove a '65 Plymouth Valiant sight unseen from Indiana to NYC in much the same situation. I didn't do anything to it, had no tools, just drove it and it was fine. I don't think it was sitting as long as yours but it definitely was not seeing regular use.

Good luck!

BAdart, that's a good idea also. He could use the FABO members along the way for support if needed.:) I wish I lived along the route. I would be up for some overnight repairs if needed.
Now all we need is the driving route and who is along the way to help if needed.

I'd do it (shoot I have done it a few times before) just check everything out as well as you can before you leave, check the fuel tank out real good try to look in there and make sure its not all rusty, take a few extra fuel filters with you on the ride back too just in case, rebuilding the carb would be nice too, change all the fluids, check out the brakes and hoses as well, tires, coolant hoses, probably do a tune up if you can, and like others have said I would carry a points distributor with you just in case. All should be fine she's a slant they run great so dependable she'll get you home. Also I'm in Oregon about 60 mi south of eugene on I 5 If i'm on your way and something happens close to me I'd be willing to help so if your coming this way pm me and I will give you my number. Good Luck Justin

Wow! You guys are great. Offering help if I need it and all. My route is pretty simple: I-80 west across Wyoming into Utah, then 15 South to San Diego...

I haven't yet decided the day/s of the trip yet. I'll be in So.Dak from June 12th to the 14th then I'll be at my parents' that following week. Maybe make the trip around the 18th.

This isn't the first time I've made the trip either though. I've driven it back and forth between Cali & Wyo at least three times (round trip) before. Never let me down.

Thanks for the ideas on things to check too. I hadn't thought about the wiper blades...

Next I need to figure out how to get some of the goodies down here with it. Do you think I can fit a 360 shortblock, a 727, and an 8 3/4 in the trunk?:-D

Do you think I can fit a 360 shortblock, a 727, and an 8 3/4 in the trunk?:-D
They may fit, but I'd imagine the springs not being terribly happy with the situation.

I'd throw in a small spool of 12ga. wire and some crimp-on terminals as well. Oh... and vast amounts of caffeine and beef jerky to maintain consciousness if you'll be going through Utah/Nevada at night.

i would do it in a heart beat i love an adventure lol i would bring along some basic tools and a camera a cell phone and a sleeping bag (just in case) oppurtunitys like this always turn out to be great stories

This trip now needs to be documented. Make sure to bring a camera and take pictures at every step so we can all share in the adventure, dig?

Ya know...I've made the drive there and back maybe six or seven times since I moved out here almost 10 years ago. I've never really done anything but drive and stop for gas (and to pee because I can go much farther on a tank of gas than I can on a full bladder). This time though, you guys are inspiring me to take a bit longer and check some stuff out...& yes, I will bring the camera.

Now I need to plan a more scenic route. Any ideas are welcome. Starting in Wheatland, WY 82201 and ending in Escondido, CA 92026.

-
Back