Need some help with turn signal switch

-

Al Bundy

four touchdowns!
Reaction score
Last night I had to replace the flasher module on my 70 dart. found one for only $3.50 and it was actually made in USA! got it installed and the flashers work,however this morning the turn signal switch wont stay "locked" in the upward postion for making a right turn anymore,I have to hold it up until I am done signaling. Is the issue caused by the switch itself or is there a separate part that I can replace that detains it until the cam cancels it? the switch itself isn't sloppy or loose and it still stays in position for a left turn until it cancels automatically.

Mechanism in the column, pull the wheel off and the horn switch so you can see it function.

Attachments

• Duster Mechanism.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 212
^x2.
Been there 3x and had to replace it.
Many stories on here about it.
You will see one of those circled tabs busted off.
Hint: Don't use the crap repair part at O'Reallys, Went through 3 of those in 3 weeks before I bought the complete OEM style switch.
Like this one for my '75 (not necessarily the same as yours, I don't know the '70)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turn-Signal...ash=item33accd07b2:g:y~gAAOSwys5WVAK5&vxp=mtr

Easy fix.

Yep^^ Quality parts are worth the extra, just think you wont have to take it apart again in a month!

Thanks for all the help (and picture) guys. I am kind of new here and didn't know how to search past forums to see if anything applied to my problem. Hopefully nobody here minded discussing it again.:)

So I basically need to replace the switch then? does anyone here know if the ebay part listed here will fit my car,or what part number I need for mine? and thanks for the warning about the Dorman aftermarket junk found in the autoparts stores. I want to do it right the first time.

How hard is is to replace this switch? ive replaced ignition locks before and have all the pullers and tools.

Not hard, just make sure your wheels are straight and mark the center shaft / steering wheel before you pull it so you can get it back on straight. If it's not a daily driver I would open it up first before ordering anything. Might be an easier fix and the mechanism has just loosened up, but I would imagine one of the tabs is broken and will need replaced. Search for a 70 Dart turn signal switch on ebay, might just have to take your chances on a Dorman cam switch, doubt you will find any NOS ones reasonably priced.

Not hard, just make sure your wheels are straight and mark the center shaft / steering wheel before you pull it so you can get it back on straight. If it's not a daily driver I would open it up first before ordering anything. Might be an easier fix and the mechanism has just loosened up, but I would imagine one of the tabs is broken and will need replaced. Search for a 70 Dart turn signal switch on ebay, might just have to take your chances on a Dorman cam switch, doubt you will find any NOS ones reasonably priced.

It is my daily driver,but I guess I will probably pull the wheel tonight and see if it may be something simple like that at first. I can always drive one of my other mopars if need be.

Just curious,but would it be possible to epoxy or JB weld the plastic piece if its broken? If not one of the members here just contacted me and has a used one that's good in a parts car he can sell me.

Thanks for the tip MoparDude,I'll check it out. I am glad to know someone repros them...besides Dorman that is.:D

The 60's a-bodies did not have lane change signals. They were added after 70 I believe.

When I replaced a switch in one of my 67 Barracudas, the switch that I got from Year One had the lane change signals in it. Bonus!!!

Check classic industries or Year one for one...

The 60's a-bodies did not have lane change signals. They were added after 70 I believe.

When I replaced a switch in one of my 67 Barracudas, the switch that I got from Year One had the lane change signals in it. Bonus!!!

I'm not sure what you mean by "Lane change signals" how are those different than directional signals? all the 50's and 60's Mopars have turn signals.

I agree completely. I'd rather spend a little more and get something that's well made,will fit correctly and will last.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Lane change signals" how are those different than directional signals? all the 50's and 60's Mopars have turn signals.

Turn signals actually "click" into position when working.

On the "newer" cars with lane change signals, you can just gently apply pressure on the signal lever to make the turn signal activate to change lanes so you don't have to "click" it off.

Older cars will not activate with light pressure, you have to fully engage and click them to work, then un-click them to de-activate which adds extra wear and tear to the switch.

Turn signals actually "click" into position when working.

On the "newer" cars with lane change signals, you can just gently apply pressure on the signal lever to make the turn signal activate to change lanes so you don't have to "click" it off.

Older cars will not activate with light pressure, you have to fully engage and click them to work, then un-click them to de-activate which adds extra wear and tear to the switch.

Thanks for the info.

The switch may be fine. I had one that acted up, so I bought a replacement. When I opened up the column, I saw that the screw holding the switch had just backed out. I tightened it back up & two years later it is still fine.

Have to open up my column to check too as my turn signals work if you hold it for left and don't seem to do jack for right. I did find a full switch setup that looks identical to the Classic Industries setup but for only $69 on Ebay and from the seller's store site for Vans Auto in Waupin, WI. Not sure if this is good stuff, or cheap garbage, but price is certainly decent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-67-68...ash=item2806c5fc6f:g:yQQAAOSw5VFWKoNt&vxp=mtr

^x2.
Been there 3x and had to replace it.
Many stories on here about it.
You will see one of those circled tabs busted off.
Hint: Don't use the crap repair part at O'Reallys, Went through 3 of those in 3 weeks before I bought the complete OEM style switch.
Like this one for my '75 (not necessarily the same as yours, I don't know the '70)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turn-Signal-Switch-Standard-TW-7-/221942450098?fits=Year:1975|Make:Dodge|Model:Dart&hash=item33accd07b2:g:y~gAAOSwys5WVAK5&vxp=mtr

Easy fix.
i need to replace my turn signal switch but my switch only has one connection with 8 wires and all i can find for replacement is a switch with two connections and 11 wires. the three extra wires are spliced into the original connection where can i find a single connection switch?

Check to be sure, but chances are that switch is the right one. The extra wires are for 'Courtesy Cornering Lights' that most of our cars do not have. In mine, that is the right switch and the extra connector is just tied up under the dash out of the way and not used.
swies

i was able to purchase the correct single connection switch and installed but now it does not catch the canceler in either direction. i replaced the original because it would not cancel on left turns only but now its both lol what did i do wrong?

-
Back