Need some help....

-

SixFourDart

Reaction score
I have a 69 Dart Swinger 340 4 speed car that I am starting a resto on. I have located the origianl engine for the car. It is a 340 X block with X heads. The car is originally gold bronze metallic with a white painted top and a red bumble bee stripe. Bench seat and brown interior. I have contact GTS several times with no reply back. Guess the car is not as important as a big block or Hemi car. Can anyone tell me anything about the x block or the color combo of my car. Any help will be great. I cant decided to restore it to stock or performance.

The x block makes you wonder about the history behind the dart they are very scarce or so i have heard, especially with the strange color combo should make an interesting story keep us posted on this one!!

From what i have read the X blocks were built with more metal around the pan rails and around the bottom of the bores to increase strength.

I may be wrong , but i was thinking that the "x" block was the first mopar performance small block race block? Like i said i may be wrong , i just see that in the mopar performance book on small blocks that it was introduced in july,1979.

I saw that too. one sure way would be if the block has the mopar logo on it then yes it is a replacement block.

No replacement here has my VIN number on it.

xblock.jpg

That is not the x block that i was refering to. The mopar performance "x" block has a big X cast on the passenger side of the block behind where the alternator would be. It is or was the prerunner to the R block. That block you have looks to be a production 340 block with an x scribe on it. I have never seen one like that before that picture. My brother is a a big ford F.E. man and that looks like the scribe that is on 428 cobra blocks. They have a C scribe on the back of the block designating a cobra jet. Good luck with your car and congrats on finding the matching numbers block! Hope someone can give you some more info on your car.
Matt

He's right. That is not an "X" block. The X block is the old race block.

Cool thanks for the info. If anyone has more info on the color options please let me know

I have already decoded the fender tag. I am just curious as to how many other Darts are in the same paint options....if any?:read2:

-
Back