Need some leaf spring advice

-

ro23dart

Reaction score
I need to replace my leaf springs on my 72 Demon because the have ceased springing. I have an 8 3/4 rear with SBP axles and stock 14 inch wheels. I plan on doing a BBP swap in the future and getting some larger tires. I was wondering if at this point it would be a good idea to just go ahead and do offset shackles and brackets so that i will have a little extra room later on down the road. What do you guys think?

I need to replace my leaf springs on my 72 Demon because the have ceased springing. I have an 8 3/4 rear with SBP axles and stock 14 inch wheels. I plan on doing a BBP swap in the future and getting some larger tires. I was wondering if at this point it would be a good idea to just go ahead and do offset shackles and brackets so that i will have a little extra room later on down the road. What do you guys think?

You can put 275’s on most Demon’s without offsetting the springs if you get th backspace right. It’s a little tight on some but it’s very doable, and if your car isn’t lowered it’s not a big deal. I run 295’s on my Duster with a 1/2” spring offset, but I also had to trim about a 1/2” off the quarter lips (my car is also lowered).

So, a 1/2” offset on a Demon would probably allow you to run 285’s without trimming anything, or maybe 295’s if you don’t mind some trimming of the quarter lip. But a 275 is a decent amount of tire, so, the spring offset doesn’t really buy you a ton of space or tire. I did mine because I was swapping over from a 7.25” rear axle with a B-body 8 3/4, so I had to move the perches regardless. Just depends on how much tire you need to have.

ESPO is a good choice for springs. Not sure where you want your ride height, I would say stock or maybe +1” if you want to put a bit of rake on it. More than +1” will take you into ‘70’s street freak territory.

Yes though I’d do the full relocation kit into the sub frame rails. But YES! Then stuff as much tire as you can because they look bad *** with some meat in the wheel wells.

Who’s springs are you going with?

Yes though I’d do the full relocation kit into the sub frame rails. But YES! Then stuff as much tire as you can because they look bad *** with some meat in the wheel wells.

We just installed espo springs on a 71 Demon yesterday. They worked great, he was looking for a stock stance. Great price, quality products.

The full 3” spring relocation only buys you more room if you do a mini-tub to go with it. Leave the stock wheel wells in place and it’s no better than a 1/2” offset.

I am looking at going with the ESPO leafs. I dont think im going to go with the +1, i dont want it up too high. Right now my leafs are parallel with the ground, so i am thinking that even stock style springs will bring it up a few inches.

I am looking at going with the ESPO leafs. I dont think im going to go with the +1, i dont want it up too high. Right now my leafs are parallel with the ground, so i am thinking that even stock style springs will bring it up a few inches.
Maybe an inch.

-
Back