Need some suspension/chassis guidance

-
15x12 wheels with a 3 1/2" backspace, 325/50/15 et streets. The rear is narrowed, I don't remember the dimension though. This is how i did my mini tub then just seam sealed it to the quarter.

[URL=http://s120.photobucket.com/user/junior636_bucket/media/IMG_73983004792535.jpg.html]

189262_10150121006001168_796946167_6474393_6069533_n.jpg
[/URL]

That's not bad at all. I can't imagine that was too bad of a job to do. So did you not weld to the quarter then? I hope you don't mind if I PM and ask a few questions. You really have it sitting like I'd like to. Any pics from the rear of the car?

good advise from above posts....

IMHO....best for the money

a.) mono-leaf with Caltracs moved onto the frame rails. SS springs are designed with a lot of arch and came out in the late 60's / early 70's before tubbing and it was necessary to get the rear in the air to clear the tires......not the look you said you were after.

b) run the tubbs all the way to the 1/4...only way to get the car low with the wider tires. I found utilizing a set of trailer fenders with their curved radius can eliminate some of the patching.

I really think this is the way I'm going to go. Was it you Hemi who picked up that duster out of Akron a few years back with the 4 link and 325s and 4 speed? I believe it was from a military member.

That's not bad at all. I can't imagine that was too bad of a job to do. So did you not weld to the quarter then? I hope you don't mind if I PM and ask a few questions. You really have it sitting like I'd like to. Any pics from the rear of the car?

You can pm me all you want, always willing to help anyone out. I didn't weld it to the quarter, paint is good on this car and if something hit the tub hard I'd be afraid it might pull and buckle the quarter.

I really think this is the way I'm going to go. Was it you Hemi who picked up that duster out of Akron a few years back with the 4 link and 325s and 4 speed? I believe it was from a military member.

no...all I have is my ol' silver '74 Duster....and my brown '75 shell from Texas....dime a dons.

no...all I have is my ol' silver '74 Duster....and my brown '75 shell from Texas....dime a dons.

agree w/ all of the above. but would never move the rear end back. Id lengthen the front of the fenderwell first, especially if your going to paint it anyway .

So let me ask what might be a stupid question. But once I move my springs and do my mini tubs, how do I know if I need to narrow the rear. Obviously if I had wheels already I could just measure. If I put the tires where I want I will probably get a good idea. I realize the wheels will bring the tire bead in a bit but will it give me a good enough idea of where I need to go. I'm going to run a 15x12 rim.

I could explain it but that would be a lot of typing. I would suggest you do some google searches, its quite easy but probably easier to understand with some pictures along the way. I am sure there are some good how to's out there.

I could explain it but that would be a lot of typing. I would suggest you do some google searches, its quite easy but probably easier to understand with some pictures along the way. I am sure there are some good how to's out there.

After some reading I think I'm going to narrow the rear. It will save weight and the deep dish wheels will look much better.

When I mini tubbed my dart I ordered the wheels and tires, mounted then centered them left to right in the openings then measured how wide the rear end needed to be.

I made up a fixture out of two pieces of 1 1/2" angle that was about two feet longer than the car is wide with a piece of plate on each end so a floor jack could be used to hold it up. It was about 12" wide IIRC and made like a saddle the tires rested in. With the tires in it and a jack on each end I could move the tires in and out to get them where they needed to be and keep them relatively square with the body.

The Strange S-60 was within 1/16" of what I ordered. Also moved the rear end back 1" as I didn't want to cut the body.

When I mini tubbed my dart I ordered the wheels and tires, mounted then centered them left to right in the openings then measured how wide the rear end needed to be.

I made up a fixture out of two pieces of 1 1/2" angle that was about two feet longer than the car is wide with a piece of plate on each end so a floor jack could be used to hold it up. It was about 12" wide IIRC and made like a saddle the tires rested in. With the tires in it and a jack on each end I could move the tires in and out to get them where they needed to be and keep them relatively square with the body.

The Strange S-60 was within 1/16" of what I ordered. Also moved the rear end back 1" as I didn't want to cut the body.

This is the way to do it! I agree on the deep dish look, pick your wheels with the amount of dish you want (backspace) and go from there.

-
Back