Need steering column help!

-

FJ5

Reaction score
I have a few questions maybe you guys can help me with
1st. I have a 70 dart, manual steering box that I'm converting to power steering.
My question is will I need to shorten my steering column? And if so can this be done safely.

2nd. I bought the car with a disc brake conversion in the trunk. With it were a set of billet aluminum hubs. Are these hubs safe for daily driving, or are they a race only item? Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 170
Power steering column is shorter about 3 inches.
You would either have to replace the whole column or replace just the shaft in the column. You should find either one at the salvage yard.

You could do a parts wanted ad in the parts wanted forum on the site here. someone on here may have one.

The second question I don't know about, but someone on here should know.

Hubs are good. Column shaft will have to be replaced.

There are guys that will tell you that it can be pushed together and replace the end at the box. But if you hit something there will be less room for collapse and the steering wheel will crush your chest. That will be the safety issue.

I have shafts if you can't find one closer.

Why are you going power steering? Most guys go the other way for better road feel. And also power boxes lock up when trying to counter steer while leaving off the throttle.

So you think I should stay with the manual box. It's not a drag car. Just a street bruiser.

Yes . The only thing left of my power steering is the brackets used to mount the GM one wire alternator.

I have a smaller Tuff wheel and it is still easy to steer.

Attachments

• DSCF0093.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCF0146.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 167
Yes . The only thing left of my power steering is the brackets used to mount the GM one wire alternator.

I have a smaller Tuff wheel and it is still easy to steer.
DUDE!! That is a super clean engine bay. I hop mine turns out that nice. Strong work.

Agreed. I just swapped out Power Steering for Manual Steering, but I also swapped out my Power, Single Piston, LBP Brakes to Kelsey Hays Manual, Four Piston Caliper, SBP, Brakes.

-
Back