Need suspension work

-

HotLines

Realist - Free Thinker
Reaction score
I really need to re-do my front suspension on my 64 Signet and want to find out just what shocks are going to be needed as well as other parts to put it all together. Car has 74 Duster discs which were done 25 years ago, sway bar runs through the K frame and all urethane bushings. Are there any brake kits along with whatever is needed outside of the bushings, I just don't know anymore. Signet has 14" wheels which I will change if it doesn't go into cutting, switching, measuring or welding.

What I really need is whatever it is to make for a better ride or at least how it rode years ago. Any suggestions would be appreciated as to which parts or kits are available. I don't want to go through another huge project otherwise you'll all dislike me more then you do now..

Thanks in advance..

Sway bar thru the K Frame? Odd. Kinda throws me for a loop.

You may need to take some Pic's to help identify exactly what you got under there.

Rebuild kits and new parts are available for these car's. Higher performance items like poly graphite, or just poly bushing kits are also available which can help stiffen up the suspension. It'll be to identify exactly which parts are used on your customized setup and working with whichever vender you decide on. I used PST Poly Graphite on my Dart. Very happy with it.

Which kit did you get Chewy? As far as my sway bar, I done it that way after reading the Mopar suspension book years ago, it keeps everything in place and hidden so to speak and the sway bar is irrelevant to the setup yet it does have 74 Duster disc brakes. I'm sure I really need the metal parts, control arms etc but a kit I'm sure would help tremendously. Can I get some manufacturers names and part numbers. I noticed PSI has two kits for the 64, one for the updated brakes setup.

BTW, I have the PSI setup on my pick-up truck..

Before you get anything, invest in some stiffer 318 or just new same size sway bars. I worked on a 64 'vert and the sway bars were like rubber, nothing left. Nothing we could do would help the sag. Stiff shocks dont support a car, they just dampen harder. Its not difficult to do the entire PST front end if you can get past the lower control arm bushings. You use the old shell, just put the poly insert in there.

Pishta, the problem I have just started this past week as I was coming down a hill and off the freeway. The front end started to shake at around 45mph. On another note the car sits extremely well without sagging at any point. As I said before, this vehicle has all urethane bushings and the sway bar runs through the K frame and outside of the bushings, the sway bar couldn't be any stiffer. I feel the need to upgrade the braking system as well as the metal parts of the suspension and will go to graphite urethane bushings if I need too. I'm asking which companies offer either a kit for the brakes along with a suspension package minus the front sway bar. The car is tight with welded on frame connectors and has always driven well BUT, I haven't driven it in the past eight years until early this year after an engine transplant. I could answer most any question in regards to my car even though I first built it in 1990. It basically had everything I needed to do back then including the front disc brakes. Thanks again..

Your 45mph shake could just be tire or alignment related. I would like to hear more about the swaybar mod. Sounds interesting. I used ESPO for my bushing and ball joint kit. What size T-bars are you running? I would look into upgrading those.

Around 1985 I picked up a book by S-A design books called Mopar Suspensions
In the book it instructs you on just about everything you want to know in regards to making an early A-body into a great handling vehicle from street and autocross to full competition, even speaks about the Kit-Car sway bar running through the K-frame and at that time I figured I could do something a bit different and out of the box so to speak. Dustin, I done the torsion bar changes and changed just about everything else in the mid 80's and even though its been a long time, I've been through at least 3 engines since and have only put maybe 10,000 miles on it.

Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to put my Signet on the lift, shake things up a bit to find out what the problem is and take a couple photos while I am at it. Thanks again for your responses and like I said, hopefully get this together so I can enjoy my ride once again as I like it as a daily driver as its always a toss up between driving the Signet or my pickup. I won't mention what the truck is as it might upset some here.

Thanks again..

I go back and forth between working on my 65 Barracuda and OT 56 F100. :)

-
Back