Need tech help w/ 2007 Ram 1500 fr brakes(long read)

-
Every few months I get a mailer from my dealer about the specials they are running on service. These always mention a $99 dollar brake job*. The asterisk is printed on the flier, and at the bottom of the flier the * is explained: Brake pads and inspection, resurfacing of rotors is extra. All shops that advertise have the * in the price. It is the way to stick it to people.

every one here has a valid point and opinion.here is mine.if the rotors need to be turned my question is how much needs to be cut.if ther is pulsation that means they probably have at least .0400 run out.now they are warped and by turning them they now are even thinner and will warp again in a very short time.i run a independent shop and i say the customer makes the call turn or replace.if it is explained up front to the cutomer and they decide to turn them and they warp again that was his choice.if they decide not to turn the rotors ,again that was there choice.if there is problems it was all there choice

I really dont agree w/ the statment you got what you payed for for the brake pad cost. I know what the pads cost....they are $75 from them. So, if they say over the phone, the front brakesjob is 140, I didnt feel the need to quiz them on the meaning......I was at work, and thought that the call was explained enough.
We arent talking a cheapy corner deal, where they put on the bottom of the barral pads, and out the door you go(I thought)
I talked to the service manager today.....while consentrating on not blowing a gasket.He got back to me, and said a caliper had stuck, and that happens every great while when you compress them to do pads.He said they would pay for the rotors, If I would pay for calipers, and some labor.We decided that I was good w/ $60 labor.I never wanted anything free, I think the beginning could have been better w/ real explanations,They still stand by that they dont always turn roters unless they need to be.I dont agree.
Anyhow.....I am to go get the truck just before 5.I pray all is well then.

He got back to me, and said a caliper had stuck, and that happens every great while when you compress them to do pads.They still stand by that they dont always turn roters unless they need to be.I dont agree.
Anyhow.....I am to go get the truck just before 5.I pray all is well then.

1. A stuck cailber would show up on a post brake-job road test.
Stop on a slight hill, release the brakes after throwing it in neutral.A stuck rotor will show up real quick as the truck will not roll easily.

2. Like I said previously, if the rotor does not show signs of being 'out of true' before a brake job, new pads will not change a thing.

3. A stuck caliper will overheat a perfect rotor and distort it pretty quickly. Refer to # 1.

I ALWAYS road test a car after new brakes are installed.

OK, I went and looked at the parts.....the roters were toast.The brake pads were toast.....So they had been stuck.....they had been heated terrible.so you I am glad that and sitting infront of the house like its suppoosed too!
I am glad you all could help me out, I know for a fact that different points of view have different ways of seeing a situation.So thanks for the input!!!
Andrew/kidd

swinger, im one of those dealers with the asterisk, do you know why we do that????

go to a Midas and see how they suck you in, offer a very inexpensive brake job with lifetime warranty.....

oh but that means they have to overhaul the brake calipers and replace or reface rotors, 600 to 800 dollars later your out the door, the aftermarket are very good at this.....hence the astericks.....at least 2 to 3 times a month i have a customer show me an invoice like that demanding warranty on a low mileage 2/3 year old vehicle for the calipers, sorry, not happening,

not to say we dont have the occasion caliper issue, but unlike gm products we dont replace calipers or alternators, ours are nearly bullet proof, starters is another story

Dodge29

-
Back