Need tips on buying a rebuilt 360

-

1970boy

Reaction score
Hey guys im going to look at a 360 and 727 today and would like to know some tips an tricks to inspect it an make sure its all good. Im not a mechanic so i want to know what to look for to be sure the seller isnt just blowing smoke up my ***, the engine looks great and for the price even better but i just dont know what to look for to make sure what im buying isnt going to be a problem later on. Thanks

IMG_5900.PNG

IMG_5901.jpg

IMG_5902.jpg

IMG_5903.jpg

IMG_5904.jpg

IMG_5905.jpg

IMG_5906.jpg

Wow! Looks like a fresh paint job on the motor. I myself would be wary of something like that. Used motor - fresh paint - could be problems inside! Put a socket on the crank bolt and remove the distributor cap. Turn the crank bolt and see how much the balancer moves before the distributor rotor moves. That will give some indication of slop in the timing chain. Too bad you couldn't start it - that might reveal things. Otherwise to check internal condition, it would need to be opened up. If you're planning on putting it in an A Body (or any Mopar passenger car), you will need to change the oil pump pickup to a passenger car and change the truck oil pan to a passenger car pan.

Just me , but i don't trust any of them unless I can hear run. Too many variables, been frozen etc.

i would absolutley want to see inside the engine, intake and oil pan at least. imho that is a lot of money for a mystery motor.

Hey guys im going to look at a 360 and 727 today and would like to know some tips an tricks to inspect it an make sure its all good. Im not a mechanic so i want to know what to look for to be sure the seller isnt just blowing smoke up my ***, the engine looks great and for the price even better but i just dont know what to look for to make sure what im buying isnt going to be a problem later on. Thanks

View attachment 1715036669

View attachment 1715036670

View attachment 1715036672

View attachment 1715036673

View attachment 1715036674

View attachment 1715036675

View attachment 1715036676
FYI-Saw this after reading tour post. At least you can hear it run and might be worth contacting.
DODGE 360 ENGINE TOWING PERFORMANCE BUILD

-
Back