Need tips on droping a Demon gas tank

-

pauls340

Reaction score
I need to remove the filler tube that was installed on the backside of the quarter panel and I need any tips on droping the gas tank. Thaks

If it's the model in your avatar, you can probably just loosen it to get the filler neck out. If you need to pull it, remove the sender wire, ground strap, and fuel hose from the sender. remove the filler neck screws. Put a jack under the tank without trapping the straps. Remove one strap, then loosen and remove the other. Carefully lower the tank. It helps to have two people if there is fuel in the tank as it will slosh and slip off the jack. Hopefully the tank is just about empty or it can be a bear to handle. I like to spray plenty of WD40 or lube around the filler neck grommet to help keep it undamaged.
Have fun!

Thanks Mark, that's exactly the info i was looking for. It is almost empty and since I moved, i have no buddys to help.

I forgot to mention that your year may also have a breather hose on the top front of the tank above the sender. You'll want to pull that off at the same time you pull the stuff on the sender.

When you go back together, do yourself a favor and paint the filler tube with permatex anti seize where it slides in against the seal. It's never stick again.

Why are you removing the filler tube? My guess is to change the cap style. If not read no further

If this car is a 71 it will have a collision impact protection/ vent system tube on the left side trunk extension. You should remove those hoses first and take it off, so you don,t bend the tubes.

71 on back all come out from the inside. 72 and up go in from the outside. They can be interchange but the gas cap will not sit at the correct depth. And you will need to put nuts on the screws that fasten it.

Also dart swinger and scamp tubes are at a different angle and are held on with 4 screws instead of three. Do not use a tube from that style , it will put a wave in the quarter when fastened.

A 1970 duster fill tube is the only correct replacement for your car if you are doing this to change the style of cap . 70 also has a built in vent tube on the fill tube. and you can eliminate all of the 71 vent sytem connections. If you need pics of the different tubes and caps and tanks, I have them ,

Just some info if needed. Steve

You really need to push the tube slightly into the tank and then twist it to get it started and out. It's a tight fit, but should come out. Use a grip strap to give you some extra umph.

Thanku all for some real good info. Yes, I just found out up to 71 the tube mounts on the backside. I did try it thru the 1/4 and the cap sticks out 1/2". The tube came out very easily. replaced all three gaskets and cleaned up the tube.

-
Back