Need to dye plastic. What dye do I use?

-

Eworth

Reaction score
Hello again. Thanks for the help.

Just purchased an original shifter console for my 64 Dart. It is RED. Need to dye it to BLACK.

Any brand name dye I should be purchasing?
Any tips on how to do it correctly?

Much appreciated.

I use a product called SEM. Avalilable at any auto-paint supply store. Clean your console well, buy the prep product to etch the surface then apply the coats of color you need to get the job done.
Good Luck--DR:coffee2:

I use a product called SEM. Avalilable at any auto-paint supply store. Clean your console well, buy the prep product to etch the surface then apply the coats of color you need to get the job done.
Good Luck--DR:coffee2:

SEM is the best...absolutely.
And get their prep-spray as well.
I did several parts in my Stingray when i redid my interior. ....came out perfect. Quality product.

Jeff

SEM is great. Super awesome.
But I actually use the OEM Ford stuff lol. It's tough and simple, just etch and apply. It's gone from -23 (colo) to over 114 degree ambient (phx) no problems at all. On multiple cars. One of 'em was even almost a mopar (*dsm). Just an FYI if you are in a time fix, hit the Ford counter.

Last stuff we bought was only $8 or $9, got a buddy who is a Ford tech at a big *** dealership so he gets a small discount (but still shouldn't be more $10). Ballpark.

Dying black with SEMs off the shelf Landau black is too easy. so its done too often. Other colors ( like the factory red ) are not off the shelf shades and can be difficult/more expensive to match.
I think I would look for a black since it is the most common color.
When that buyer comes along wanting a true red one, you can ask more coin for it.

SEM for my vote too. Clean it, clean it & clean it again. Then use their prep and color and it will last for years and look great. The only failures I've seen using it are when the surface wasn't cleaned adequately.

Thanks Dan. And others for the confirmation on the product of choice.

Redfish, apparently red doesn't necessarily get more coin as I think I paid a reasonable price and all the black ones were beat up.

-
Back