Need to find switched 12v wire that's hot while cranking & with key in ON position

-

340_833 dart

Reaction score
I've wired in a complete Accel 300+ ignition system. I need to find a switched 12v source that is hot while cranking and with the key in the ON position.
The middle wire on the starter relay is hot while cranking but, as soon as I let off the key, the engine dies. So, obviously, that is not good.
I hate electrical issues.
Does anybody have any suggestions where I can find the needed power source?

Thanks.

I've wired in a complete Accel 300+ ignition system. I need to find a switched 12v source that is hot while cranking and with the key in the ON position.
The middle wire on the starter relay is hot while cranking but, as soon as I let off the key, the engine dies. So, obviously, that is not good.
I hate electrical issues.
Does anybody have any suggestions where I can find the needed power source?

Thanks.

The only wire I know that does this is the wire at the + side of the coil, it will be 12v. while cranking and be cut down to like 7v. when in the run position because of the ballast resistor.

The picture shows the system I'm using. But, I'm running an MP distributor, instead of an Accel unit. Otherwise there is no difference.
I've got it wired exactly like the instructions say, except for the switched wire. As you can see, it's a really simple set up.
I just can't find a suitable point where to connect it.
49300-2.jpg

i know on my scamp i used a brown wire coming out of the column for my msd box what year and what car do you have i may have a wiring diagram for it

looks like it hooks up the same as a msd. where is your original + coil wire? use that. if your worried about voltage drop remove the ballast. only difference in the msd is that it has key power and a battery power. unless i just missed it on you diagram..

i know on my scamp i used a brown wire coming out of the column for my msd box what year and what car do you have i may have a wiring diagram for it

I've got a good wiring diagram already for my Dart.
But, your answer about the brown wire just made me go DOH!.
I will hunt for that wire tonight.
Thanks.

Well, I found the brown wire and hooked it to my ignition box. The car fired right up but died as soon as I let off the key.
So, I put my volt meter on it. Sure enough, there are 0 volts with the key in the run position.

As abodyjoe mentioned where is the wire that was connected to the + side of the coil origionally?

Use that wire. put a voltmeter on it with the key on and you should get voltage. Also as Joe mentioned you will need to bypass the ballast resistor so you get the full 12 volts to your new syst. (By bypassing the ballast, I mean hook the wires from both sides of the resistor together)

OK. I hope I can explain this where it makes sense. Mainly, I'm trying to talk myself through this.
The picture is of the wiring diagram for my '73 Dart.
Because I used the complete Accel ignition system, I removed the ballast resistor and the factory ECU.
The negative wire for the Accel coil runs to the Accel box.
Looking at the voltage regulator, it appears the positive (brown) wire for the coil comes out of the bulkhead connector and ties into the alternator's blue field wire, then goes back to the positive side of the coil.
Tying the brown into the blue then going back to the positive side of the coil is something I haven't done yet. Should that be what I do next?
Thanks.
wiring-diagram.jpg

From what I can tell of your initial drawing is, you want to pull out the ign. resistor, tie the blue and brown wires together and hook it to the red wire on the Accell module only. It looks like the coil already is wired in.

-
Back