Need to install A/C compressor on 6.1 in a '68 Barracuda

-

sprinter6591

Reaction score
I need to install an a/c compressor on a 6.1 in a '68 Barracuda. It has a stock K-Frame and Schumacher engine mounts. The a/c compressor on a 6.1 hits the engine mounts. Also, on a 5.7 timing cover truck swap, the a/c compressor and alternator hit the hood when you try to close it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve the problem? Thanks!

JDMopar got his to work but it took a lot of modification. I believe there is a thread on it with pics somewhere on here.

Whats hitting on the 6.1 mount? The rear bolt boss of the compressor? They commonly need to get hacked off to clear the mount - no ill effect.

I made mine fit by using a spool mount k frame, and modifying the drivers side mount. I bought TTI mounts for the spool mount k frame, mounted the motor where it was supposed to be using a 727 to hold it in place. I then made a spacer to weld to the k frame and hold the motor up at the drivers side front corner of the oil pan. Then cut the factory saddle for the motor mount off the k frame and moved it back. I'd post pics, but they are on my old computer that took a dump. I just bolted my TTI headers on, and cut the TTI mount apart and re-engineered it to fit after I put the AC compressor on. I did space the AC compressor a half inch away from the block so it would also have plenty of clearance from the # 1 header tube. Look back thru my old posts and see if the pics are still there. If I attached them from Photobucket....they are probably gone since I won't pay the $400 ransom....lol.

DOH!!!! Found some pics.
Motor mount 005.JPG
Motor mount 001.JPG
Motor mount 004.JPG
Motor mount 006.JPG

You can see on the next to last pic, where I trimmed the rear mount for the AC compressor and used shorter bolts. Also, take note of the Allen head bolt I had to use on the top left of the motor mount to motor bracket. Yep, it was that close to the headers!

-
Back