Need to make a decision fast 5.7/6.1/340

-
my question is will a non OD hemi get that much better mileage than a non OD LA motor? just curious. i don't know the answer. i know the efi can make it more efficient because its constantly fine tuning but efi can easily be put on a LA motor.

I think it depends how you build it, 400 plus hp LA engines are built with rather large cams where the hemi uses lots of port flow with mild cam. If built that way I don't think it would be a huge difference, every talks about modern technology and fuel mileage but that's mainly highway in town they really haven't improved mileage that much, my 400 Cid Bronco and 5.9 jeep and my cousin hemi truck all get about the same in town.

another option would be 5.9 magnum engine, they have lots of power potential, can be had really cheap and a pretty simple swap for you already 360 car.

That the swap I'm planning for my Cuda, using a completely stock 5.9 and build off the stock short block as I can afford it.

i'd like to see that bowl and how its filled/stays filled.

ugh they are MAKING new tanks. You would think they would just pop one with a some OEM size ring and sell a modded OEM canister to fit a plastic reservoir with venturi pump. ala like this~ish http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-pcm-conversion/in-tank-fuel-pump-conversion.html

EDIT: Every good idea has someone somewhere already doing it: http://www.vaporworx.com/

I've had extensive discussions with vaporworx. Great guy. I havent pulled the trigger as it is easily four figures for his set up, whether you DIY or buy a drop in tank.

I like the $245 tank option because it should get us most of the way there for 1/4 to 1/2 the price.

I will send you a PM to take you up on that offer and set something up

Thanks

Sounds good. I'll respond shortly

P.S. You can get 5.7 engines for a lot less money at Harry's up pull it- Hazelton PA, than the prices people are stating. To flip it another way, the big stroker LA engine from mopar is like 12 grand too. I can get a 5.7, and build a 392, or 416 for less than a mopar crate. So really the price is subjective.

Gary How often do you see them there? I haven't seen any later Dodges/Rams at all .....I'm fairly local.... I'll have to start looking more regularly.....

I just picked up an 04 Ram 1500, 137Kmi with a 5.7 hemi pretty cheap. Bring a dealer plate and you can drive it home.

-
Back