Need weatherstrip help

-
Reaction score
I purchased weatherstripping for my 1964/5 Barracuda and am comfused by the quarter window seal. The seal on the left is the original, the one on the right is the new seal.

Am I missing something? Looking at this backwards / upside down? This doesn't seem like it will work.

The people I purchased from, insist that this is the right weatherstripping.

Please advise,
Thanks, Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0401 - Copy.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 301
Bump........Dan?

Is this something so obvious that I'm missing or is this the wrong part?

I'm not familiar with your specific car, but it looks to me that if you flip the new piece (the one on the right) 180* top to bottom, that it's a match. Your original one just looks collapsed........

Interesting. I'm not seeing a match for your old weatherstrip in either the Restoration Specialties or the Gary Goers catalog (see here) but I was never much good at those "Which of these five patterns is the same as the sample pattern, only rotated?" types of puzzles. That said, I do not agree that the new weatherstrip is a match for the old by rotating it 180°. Is it possible the old weatherstrip you're replacing is not the original, but an earlier replacement of the incorrect type?

That said, I do not agree that the new weatherstrip is a match for the old by rotating it 180°.

Agree, thank you.

Is it possible the old weatherstrip you're replacing is not the original, but an earlier replacement of the incorrect type?Now, this I did not think of. I have a second set, I will take a look and see.

Appreciate your help. It seems like it should be so easy, but it just doesn't seem right.

As for your link, I just saw that today. It seems as though the company that I dealt with is not listed, hmmm.

Just replaced my door seals this week. Got the new seals from Dante's Mopar parts. I can say looking at your new seals they aren't the same as the one's I just installed.
I'll snap a few pic's this evening and post for you.

Sean
'65 Barracuda

Here are the pictures I took of the install.
Hope these help you.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Sorry ignore the last post. I took pictures of the roll up seals, not the quarter seals. Here are the pictures of the quarter seals. These came with the "cat whiskers" that I purchased.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Again, hope this helps.

OK Sean, Now I see.....Thanks for posting the pictures, this does help!!

It looks like the seal I have is the one that goes into the roll up. The quarter window seals you show are exactly the same as what I have / need.

So, those came from the cat whisker set from Dante's.......

That explains why the place I purchased the seals from were firm that the seals were right. They are quarter window seals, but they are not the belt line quarter window seals.

I wasn't that specific when I asked them.

Now, let me ask you, the roll up seal that you show goes into that stainless 'runner' attached to the door window. What is holding that stainless piece to the window?

Thanks,
Dave

OK Sean, Now I see.....Thanks for posting the pictures, this does help!!

It looks like the seal I have is the one that goes into the roll up. The quarter window seals you show are exactly the same as what I have / need.

So, those came from the cat whisker set from Dante's.......

That explains why the place I purchased the seals from were firm that the seals were right. They are quarter window seals, but they are not the belt line quarter window seals.

I wasn't that specific when I asked them.

Now, let me ask you, the roll up seal that you show goes into that stainless 'runner' attached to the door window. What is holding that stainless piece to the window?

Thanks,
Dave

it's bonded with glue or a butyl type bonding agent. we first wiped on primer then add a strip of butyl in the stainless and press on,then run through a special (UV) light and cured it. when I worked in that area (chrysler 68-74) and made the sidelights for that year car we used a 2 part glue that worked similar to the late model front Windshield butyl rubber.

it's bonded with glue or a butyl type bonding agent. we first wiped on primer then add a strip of butyl in the stainless and press on,then run through a special (UV) light and cured it. when I worked in that area (chrysler 68-74) and made the sidelights for that year car we used a 2 part glue that worked similar to the late model front Windshield butyl rubber.

Is what I removed from the glass side of the stainless runner the butyl strip?
I now see that I should not have removed this?
What could / should I replace this with?

Is what I removed from the glass side of the stainless runner the butyl strip?
I now see that I should not have removed this?
What could / should I replace this with?
if it was a black sticky substance then yep! it's not a problem really.
You can get the adhesive from a local glass shop and it's not that expensive. Or you could take it down to them and see if they could glue it back on with butyl and the butyl primer for you(have to let it sit for a day or so before you go tugging or rolling it up or down with the door closed) they also have newer bonding agents that they could use that cure a lot faster and bond better too!

-
Back